Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop for Science degree in UCD

Options
  • 20-08-2015 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I'll be starting Science in UCD in a couple of weeks and of course will need a laptop for college. Do any current/past students know if there are any laptop requirements? I know certain courses e.g. Comp Sci and Engineering in TCD offer system requirements. I've looked on the UCD website and could not find any notes about laptops for the Science degree

(I am looking to focus in mathematics and physics and I am aware these fields require simulation in later years)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lanawithafada

Hi Kev,

I'm going into Third year physics having done maths and physics in first and second year and there are no particular laptop requirements! People generally have all different kinds of laptops, you don't need anything too technical or any particular OS. There is some matlab coding but the application works on most recent laptops, and if you want to take electives in programming it's the same.

Anything functional will work! Best of luck starting in the next few weeks, it's a brilliant course, honestly I enjoy it so much.

Hope that helps! Message me if you've any particular questions about the course or anything, I'd be happy to help!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

The only reasons I could see there being requirements are if you're doing a course that requires a particular setup, like a multimedia course that needs Macs for whatever reason.

Or a graphics card for a gaming course.

A good test to see if your laptop is up to scratch would be to install Eclipse:

https://eclipse.org/home/index.php

And try to run a basic program on it. If it's not too laggy while running, then you should be fine.

Advertisement