Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New House - Getting a line/connection

Options
  • 20-08-2015 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

I'm moving into a brand new house soon in Skerries, Co. Dublin. I have no interest in a home phone, but I want the fastest Internet connection possible.

Looking on a site like uSwitch, the options for Skerries are : Vodafone, Eircom and Sky. I assume first of all I have to get a phone line installed, since all these services are fibre to cabinet and then phone line to house, is that correct? Is so, I have to get Eircom to install the line, right? So the best thing to do is just go for a bundle from Eircom? If I chose Vodafone for example, I'd have to pay line rental to Eircom and then the broadband charge to Vodafone - which sounds like the more expensive option.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Pretty sure UPC have a big footprint in Skerries, worth checking.

Either eircom or Vodafone can order a new line install for you. They can then flip it over to standalone VDSL and give you a "fake" phone number. You still pay for the copper though, but its marginally cheaper. Sky wont do new provides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Also if you go with Vodafone, their charge will include the Eircom line rental, so you will not be billed by two providers, only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Gmaximum

Having done this recently enough I'd suggest if a DSL service is your only option order the line from Eircom. Be clear when they come out to install or survey that you also require ADSL or VDSL. They can do all sorts of messing that will leave you with a line not capable of doing either

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

ED E wrote: »
    Pretty sure UPC have a big footprint in Skerries, worth checking.

Either eircom or Vodafone can order a new line install for you. They can then flip it over to standalone VDSL and give you a "fake" phone number. You still pay for the copper though, but its marginally cheaper. Sky wont do new provides.

Thanks, that's good to know.

Gmaximum wrote: »
    Having done this recently enough I'd suggest if a DSL service is your only option order the line from Eircom. Be clear when they come out to install or survey that you also require ADSL or VDSL. They can do all sorts of messing that will leave you with a line not capable of doing either

Hmm that's worrying! Apparently the houses in the development already have eFibre so we should be able to get the same.

• Advertisement

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Also if you go with Vodafone, their charge will include the Eircom line rental, so you will not be billed by two providers, only one.

This is a key thing I wanted to know, thanks! What about the line being installed in the first place? Do Eircom not have to do that?

dutopia wrote: »
    This is a key thing I wanted to know, thanks! What about the line being installed in the first place? Do Eircom not have to do that?

eircom Wholsale do it on behalf of your operator. So you can call sales in Vodafone or eircom Retail, but an eircom(or KNN) lad will come to do the work.

When I called Vodafone they said they need a home phone number in order to connect me. I told them I don't have one as it's a new house with no connection, and they said they can't do anything then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

dutopia wrote: »
    When I called Vodafone they said they need a home phone number in order to connect me. I told them I don't have one as it's a new house with no connection, and they said they can't do anything then!

Ring them again and say you need a new line provide done.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Gmaximum

Avada wrote: »
    Ring them again and say you need a new line provide done.

This is the issue with other operators who rely on Eircom Wholesale to provide lines - its not the usual method for them to get a connection and their agents are not trained to know what to do.

I'd also go with Eircom for a new provide as no matter what is said their is little separation between retail and wholesale sections. They have better visibility of your order and can escalate if required. If you do want to go with Vodafone you can always just order the line and transfer that once its delivered to them

• Advertisement

Gmaximum wrote: »
    This is the issue with other operators who rely on Eircom Wholesale to provide lines - its not the usual method for them to get a connection and their agents are not trained to know what to do.

I'd also go with Eircom for a new provide as no matter what is said their is little separation between retail and wholesale sections. They have better visibility of your order and can escalate if required. If you do want to go with Vodafone you can always just order the line and transfer that once its delivered to them

I wouldn't agree with the Eircom bit, they suffer from the same disasters with NLP as resellers do. It's a fairly straightforward process with all the providers on most occasions, if a little time consuming. The main problem is engineers not showing up.

Also, if yoy order it with eircom you can guarantee you'll be contracted as soon as it is delivered. Not sure how the distance selling regs affect this, but that seems to be how it happens.

Avada wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree with the Eircom bit, they suffer from the same disasters with NLP as resellers do. It's a fairly straightforward process with all the providers on most occasions, if a little time consuming. The main problem is engineers not showing up.

You can thank KNN for a lot of that...

ED E wrote: »
    You can thank KNN for a lot of that...

Pretty much all of it. As an aside, I am fairly sure that the large amount of no shows on NLP by KNN is part of the reason Sky decided to use Sierra for it's fttc in home setup, as well as cost.

Advertisement