Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to work during college?

Options
  • 20-08-2015 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭

getting no susi grant not too sure about SAF too :(
    I want a good social life too :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Yes. New initiative known as the PTJ (part time job). Deal is, you locate a suitable 'employer' and enquire as to the availability of 'some work'. If you both agree on terms and conditions, away you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Of course it's possible. Why wouldnt it be.

Generations of students have done it before you and most likely generations after you will.

I had any number of part-time jobs in pubs, shops and offices when I was at college.

I presume you're 18 or will be soon so there won't be many jobs you'd be too young to do.

Start looking now before other students and you'll get a head start.

Good luck with the job hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭MagicHumanDoll

Get a part-time job -> Acquire spending money -> Be able to have a 'good social life' (assuming you mean going out with mates as it varies for people)

Some courses hours are so relaxed (15 hours a week in some cases) that working is more than possible.

Good luck, and enjoy first year!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

My course is about 24 hours a week and I fit in at least 21 ish hours work a week, mostly made up of full days starting early Saturday and Sunday morning. I have friends who have about 10 hours total college a week without a job and they're bored as fcuk. It's totally possible to work and head out a few evenings a week, including weekends but you can't go out every night without cutting back on one of the other two.

It's ridiculous that you even have to ask. When I was in college I was working double shifts on weekends, picked up an internship in my third year, and still had time for a social life. So, yes, yes it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

It'll also be possible to work when you finish college. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Sn@kebite

If it's an arts degree then yeah definitely (if you can find work) Arts is often 10-18hrs a week of college, long gaps in your timetable.

With Science it can be tougher, science courses can be 30-35 hour weeks similar to leaving cert school hours, then you need to study, so people would need to be highly disciplined for that.

I will be studying Science which has me worried about working too. :/

The good thing is Science graduates will probably come out with a job, and a better paying one at that. Arts grads maybe not and Arts careers are lower paid (generally).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I worked right throughout college in Dunnes and it was no bother. I did probably 15-20 hours a week. It does take a bit of discipline and planning though if you want to get assignments in on time etc.

Edit: and I totally agree with the above. If you are in a high pressure course then of course it'll be a lot more difficult. I did commerce and managed fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Sn@kebite wrote: »
    If it's an arts degree then yeah definitely (if you can find work) Arts is often 10-18hrs a week of college, long gaps in your timetable.

With Science it can be tougher, science courses can be 30-35 hour weeks similar to leaving cert school hours, then you need to study, so people would need to be highly disciplined for that.

I will be studying Science which has me worried about working too. :/

The good thing is Science graduates will probably come out with a job, and a better paying one at that. Arts grads maybe not and Arts careers are lower paid (generally).

English and History, like I did, required a huge amount of reading. I had to give up a lot of distractions to actually get my entire reading requirements done. (although it was compounded by having to live at my family's home on weekends, which was a tough place to study at.....)

I'm not employed though so you're right there. :P :(

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Do a course that pays and gets you work experience instead of artistic endeavours Van Wilder :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 colourinkjet2

Yes it is possible.
    However many of the jobs students normally do during the summer/term time are now being done by low skilled immigrants making hours harder to come by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

If you don't get the grant or work, how can you pay for college or a social life?

Advertisement