Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a new home PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

The second one is a better spec, though both are fairly expensive. Would you be willing to do a self build if we gave you a part list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

They are very expensive for such basic specs, both have extremely low end processors.

This is way cheaper and way faster, and at 282 euro is good value. Add a 1080P monitor for about 100 extra, which comes to just under 400 delivered to you for an infinitely faster machine.

A PC with the same specs as the one from DID can be bought for €210 new elsewhere. If you're looking to save money, this PC at €212 is excellent value also and is faster than that DID one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

id have no issue with a self build. Eventually I will have X-Plane 10 installed with a Yoke and Rudders as I am heading for the PPL soon so I need something that can run it smoothly.

How come the Dabs PC is so cheap compared to main street stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

How come the Dabs PC is so cheap compared to main street stores?

It's the same with any brick'n'mortar store, they have more overheads so things cost more.
    Renting a shop in a city centre costs a LOT more per foot than either a warehouse or running things from home and having your own stock-room/garage, plus dabs are owned by BT so their ability to drive costs down increases.

W

• Advertisement

Would the 2 supplied PC examples by TerrorFirmer be able the run X-plane 10? See specs below

http://www.x-plane.com/desktop/system-requirements/

X-Plane 10 requires, at the minimum,

Dual Core, 2.5 GHz or faster
    2 GB of RAM
    A video card with at least 500 MB of VRAM.
    DVD-ROM

For the best experience, we recommend the following system specs:

a 3+ GHz, multi-core CPU (or multiple processors),
    8-16 GB of RAM,
    a DVD-ROM, and
    a high-performance, DirectX 11-capable video card with 2-4 GB of on-board, dedicated VRAM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If you're looking to play that, you would want to buy a much better PC.

However I have no idea how well X-Plane scales across different processors or video cards, or how necessary those recommended spec's are. Some games make ridiculous claims as to the recommended specs when much weaker computers will perform the same.

Maybe someone else here will have experience with X-Planes and be able to provide an optimal specification for the game.

At a stab though, something with an i3, 8GB ram, GTX750 or Radeon R7 260 class card would probably be ideal.

You won't get as good value on those spec's buying pre-built machines of that spec compared to building yourself though, but Ebay is usually pretty good for those types of machines.

Example....six core FX6300/8GB Ram/GTX750/1TB for €435 delivered.

That's just an example for you as to the value you can get, not to be taken as 'buy this one'!

You'll also get machines on adverts.ie as well that are similar.

You could also buy a pre-built i3-based machine from Dabs or Amazon, and add your own GTX750 for around €500 altogether either.

Advertisement