Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Phone in the South

Options
  • 20-08-2015 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I was thinking of getting a new phone, but the prices and options down here are terrible.
    For example, the LG G3 is not available down here, but if I drive 10 minutes down the road...(around 10k from the border) I can get one for free from the same company! (Vodafone).

Has anyone tried this approach before?

I'm wondering if I am within my rights to purchase a phone down there, even if I live in a "different country".

I understand there are different phone number formats down there, but couldn't I just put my 087 sim into the phone?

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,386 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think you need a UK address to sign up for a phone contract in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Paddy_B

I know plenty of people in the UK so that's not hard to get! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

You will have to sign up to a contract with Vodafone UK to get the phone free, and you will have to see out that contract, or buy it out.

So you're not getting a "free" phone.

Paddy_B wrote: »
    I know plenty of people in the UK so that's not hard to get! :)

You have to bring proof of address with you to prove that you live there. Has to be a bank statement or some other trusted source, and usually dated within the last few months.

You'll also need to bring photo id (passport or drivers license) to prove you are who you say you are. Name on the passport / drivers license obviously must match the name on the proof of address.

I think the reasoning is that you must live in the same legal jurisdiction so they can pursue you if you just decide to stop paying.

I am aware that I would need to pay off the contract, I'm not talking about stealing a phone!

I heard somewhere that if you live within a certain distance of the border that you can qualify to be serviced by a provider from the North.

Is there any truth in this? Or was I hearing lies?

• Advertisement

Not sure about that. Also I haven't taken out a UK contract in years so what I am saying could be totally wrong too. Your best bet is to ring a vodafone store in NI and ask them whether you can take out a contract with an Irish address.

You should also ask if the phone is locked to them. Just because it works for Vodafone UK doesn't necessarily mean it'll work for Vodafone IE.

Finally, be aware that you'll be paying in Sterling and the exchange rate right now is awful.

I know that the NI plans have an option to enable the ROI Vodafone network for an additional £5.

I know that the exchange rate is awful, but even so, the phones/plans are still much cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

G3 for €330 unlocked.

€20/mo to Three PAYG. Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

ED E wrote: »
    G3 for €330 unlocked.

€20/mo to Three PAYG. Sorted.

Wouldn't fancy that Delivery Shop seller...one star...0% positive!!

Also, it's a 16GB model. Won't ship to Ireland either....

Here...

LG G3 D855 32GB LTE SIM Free / Unlocked (Titanium Black)

UK free delivery £231.95/€325'ish plus PM cost..(€3.95)

or

ROI free delivery direct/ no PM...€346.90

Advertisement