Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fear The Walking Dead | Season 1 | Episode 1 | Pilot [AMC] [SPOILERS]

• 19-08-2015 11:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭

Fear The Walking Dead - Season 1

Episode 1 - "Pilot"

Airdate - August 23rd on AMC at 9/8c | August 31st on AMC UK at 9pm

A dysfunctional blended family is forced together when they realize the onset of the undead apocalypse is upon them.
    When her drug-addict teenage son Nick is found in shock in the middle of the street as if he has just seen a ghost, Madison tries to understand what happened to him, with the help of her daughter Alicia, and her fiancé, Travis Manawa. They discover it might be linked to the mysterious illness that is spreading at a fast rate in the city of Los Angeles for a few days and inevitably all around the globe soon...

How did you rate this episode? 66 votes

0%
    4%
    MenaTompatrick[Deleted User] 3 votes
    7%
    Also Starring LeVar BurtonTony EHricerodwdmaryfred 5 votes
    28%
    wesduridianspatchco[Deleted User]NUTZZnc6000DuckStabrobby^5pmctYesterparttimeDontfadeawayexpectationlostirish_stevo815brianregan09sabhailjimboblepclever user nameAvatar MIA 19 votes
    21%
    KurngazzerGran HermanoGrim.NufcNavanthegreengoblinJohnMearsheimerLandoCalrissianThe GibzillamaximooseAlonso77Techniques07geosynchronous orbitVinculus 14 votes
    12%
    WashoutRob30888frashKleine HundinReg'stoy[Deleted User]Sudden ValleyMrLaurel 8 votes
    9%
    FreudianSlippersPotential-MonkeDuckworth_Luasdexter647pc7Agent Coulson 6 votes
    10%
    TerrorFirmerTheIrishGroverAisling(",)LiamalonedpofloinnMac BPink Lemons 7 votes
    3%
    Alfred Borden[Deleted User] 2 votes
    3%
    CrackleKev W 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

A dysfunctional blended family is forced together when they realize the onset of the undead apocalypse is upon them.

Ha! The Modern Dead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

The opening scene from Episode 1;

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Is AMC UK on UPC I've been scrolling and don't see it? Tia

pc7 wrote: »
    Is AMC UK on UPC I've been scrolling and don't see it? Tia

It is not on UPC, there has been no official word on whether the channel will be available in Ireland at all.

It has appeared on the UK Sky EPG on channel 192. It is not currently on the ROI EPG, however at the moment, it can be tuned in via 'Other Channels' on Sky on 11081.00 H 22000 5/6

Surprisingly good. Decent gore, fantastic sense of impending doom about it, and looks to be an interesting season. Just to confirm.. Is this a full season or just a mini season? Seriesguide is only listing two episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Surprisingly good. Decent gore, fantastic sense of impending doom about it, and looks to be an interesting season. Just to confirm.. Is this a full season or just a mini season? Seriesguide is only listing two episodes.

6 Episodes this season.

I found it a bit clumsy. Characters didn't seem very believable.

for example the Reaction of the mother when she found out her son just murdered someone.

I have high hopes for this though

The way I saw that was that the mother was still doubting that anything happened at all, the stepfather was starting to believe it, but she wasn't, so when he said he had killed someone, she didn't know if it was real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

A slow burner but very enjoyable all the same. Expect things to go crazy next week

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭LandoCalrissian

I thought it had its flaws but over all enjoyable

I think the family unit will be believable as "survivors"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I really liked it. I like the characters a lot more than I liked any of The Walking Dead characters at the beginning of Season 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

I thought the scenes where you could see all the smog over L.A. worked well for this, adding to the gloomy foreboding atmosphere.

For me the less decayed walkers are more creepy than the too far gone ones most commonly seen in the main series. Maybe it's because whenever a "fresher" walker appeared in the main series, it tended to be somebody whom you saw as a person just moments or episodes earlier, even if they were not necessarily good guys. I thought some of the creepiest ones were Shane, Sophia (though not seen immediately post mortem, she was still very recognisable) and Merle. Similarly with
    Calvin, even if he was a drug dealing gang banger
    the transition in just minutes was nice and creepy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

I dunno, very skeptical about whole endeavor right from start and when they picked that terrible name

Looks poor to me , boring, They should put the money into the walking dead get better actors, better sets(other than forests) and writers and turn it from a B show(IMO) to a A show that it could and should be. If they want to show what happened while in the period rick was in a coma they should just make a movie or mini series, I mean once this show is past Zero month its the same as other show.

Feels like they just milking it

"hey walking dead big ratings ,
    People like zombies,
    lets make a another zombie show in the main show off period, set in LA,
    YA churn it out $$$ "

As Eminem said
    There's a concept that works
    Twenty million other white rappers emerge

zombie overload

I really enjoyed it, it had a completely different tone to TWD. I was very impressed with Frank Dillanes performance as Nick. It's already clear that it is far more of a drama and slower paced than TWD which I don't think is a bad thing and I'm looking forward to the rest of the season and seeing how it plays out.

On a side note, Fear The Walking Dead broke some viewing records;
    AMC’s “Fear the Walking Dead,” the much-anticipated companion series to megahit zombie drama “The Walking Dead,” opened to monster — and record-setting — ratings of its own own Sunday night.

Nielsen estimates that the 90-minute debut of “Fear the Walking Dead” became the No. 1-rated cable series launch on record with 10.1 million viewers, including 6.3 million adults 18-49. In total viewers, “Fear” surpasses TNT’s “Raising the Bar” (7.7 million in 2008) as top dog among cable premieres.

The previous record in the 18-49 demo was AMC’s “Better Call Saul” (4.4 million) earlier this year. In fact, AMC now has three of the top five cable launches of all time, with “Walking Dead” ranking fifth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

It was too slow moving I get they have to build a story but Jesus come on shows us some thing decent with only 6 EPs this season.
    Was it blood that Calvin was hovering up in his car ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Really good start to the show. Can see why it was quickly signed up for a second season

naughto wrote: »
    Was it blood that Calvin was hovering up in his car ?

I think he was just cleaning his parents mini-van to be honest, there was a handicap sign hanging on the rearview mirror of it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Looks like a fan made series. Abysmal. Just trying to wring more money out of a lifeless corpse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

It was ok, quite slow for a series opener. I too found the mothers reaction to her son killing someone a bit off, and the step dad going off to the drug den and possible scene of murder/cannibalism in the dead of night armed with just a flash light? Can't really see it happening tbh! I'll give it another episode to see if it gets better. I hope it does, it will be a good filler until the new season of TWD starts. Other than that it just seems a bit pointless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I actually loved it , Nice to see something diffrent within the universe although i always enjoyed the flashbacks to before the carnage in the main show , Some of the shots were great too and there was a real intense feeling of oncoming war in it

Also I think this was a slow episode because they actually wanted to build the characters properly this time around , I actually already feel really sorry for the Junkie kid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Thought the walker situations were good. Nice to see the beginnings of the epidemic!
    Things that didn't sit with me
    - didn't like the mum, I think I missed the bit where they told us her job ( principal?) thought she was a doctor or police the way she was acting at the beginning. Who can seriously take time off short notice for herself or her partner willy nilly? Basically thought she was an idiot bitch but I suppose that's what keeps you alive!
    - thought the druggy son was a bit over done. He got boring and a bit much towards the end. I just wanted the walker friend to shoot/ bite him.

The partner was pretty good in the submissive follower role. Liked the Daughter in The 100 so have high hopes for her!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Also what's the deal with all the shots of the playgrounds? Think I counted 5......

The mother's job is as a school counsellor. The black fella is the principal.

In the fight with Calvin, did she get bitten? I think she did ... will be interesting to see how that progresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yeah I thought she did too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

The mother's job is as a school counsellor. The black fella is the principal.

In the fight with Calvin, did she get bitten? I think she did ... will be interesting to see how that progresses.

I thought she did too but then I rewatched it and it looks like the husband grabbed her arm out of the way just in time. She didn't show any signs of being injured afterwards anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I enjoyed it. It was slow enough but I expected that. Seeing as it's an origin story it should be a slow-burner rather than straight into the action.

I thought the main characters were grand. No one seems too dislikable at this stage. Nick's drug addiction adds an interesting dimension and has the potential for some decent storylines. I thought his lurching walk was a bit overplayed, and maybe it's foreshadowing what's to come for him.

The air of impending doom was played out nicely, especially the highway scene where we didn't directly see what was happening, only to see it later on the phone footage. Plenty of sirens and helicopters buzzing around along with shadowy figures, etc. LA seems like a good choice of location for the series.

And interesting to see the show has taken its cue from the main series and kept up the grand old Walking Dead tradition of killing off black characters like there's no tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

its odd that they only focused on the one family in the pilot. In the Walking dead they at least have quite a number of characters introduced so they can kill a few every few episodes. It was good at building tension but by the 45 minute mark I thought I had by mistake switch on a Lifetime channel movie on the dangers of doing drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I thought this was quite good. It was really well shot and the LA location(for however long they stay there) gave it a totally different feel then TWD which seems to be filmed on the same stretch of Atlanta highway for all intents and purposes. My worry tho is that when they leave LA and move past the initial outbreak stage they will just end up retreading the same ground TWD has covered , Save harbour with a sinister secret etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

its odd that they only focused on the one family in the pilot. In the Walking dead they at least have quite a number of characters introduced so they can kill a few every few episodes. It was good at building tension but by the 45 minute mark I thought I had by mistake switch on a Lifetime channel movie on the dangers of doing drugs.

But surely this is the point of having the new show, that it doesn't just ape the original. I'm sure we'll see more characters introduced over the course of the show although nowhere near as many as the other one.

The problem with focusing on the family is that they can't start being killed off every few episodes so if any of them become unpopular characters and disliked by a lot of viewers then the producers will have a bit of a problem on their hands!

Regarding the mother being bitten, I thought she was also but surely she would have been holding her arm and wincing in pain for the remaining minute or so of the episode?

The highway scene seemed exactly like the opening of World War Z. Was fantastics played out

• Advertisement

I won't say it was total rubbish but it was certainly not enjoyed here.

How many times did the mother call her partner 'babe' :confused:

Now I'm betting nick or nicky will be miraculously cured of his heroine addiction next week and have no withdrawl symptoms at all, mark my words ;)

The build up the outbreak could have been done differently and better, they mentioned something was happening in 5 other states once and maybe should have gone that route and made more it and built up some fear and sense of panic that way, then had the motorway scene and it being brought home that it was spreading and happening on their own doorstep maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I thought it was pretty crap, expected a lot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Wasn't gone on it. The mother was very aggressive and annoying- demanding everything like they were beneath her. The father was weak (But I suppose that'll be his story arc). The father's real kid was annoying as hell and the others weren't much better. I didn'y find the characters that interesting or sympathetic.
    I'm enjoying the premise though. Maybe the series will end with them all eaten :) Would be a good idea to see this initial infestation angle from other countries to see their reactions and attempts to control. Kind of like WWZ - Japan, Russia, UK, Brazil etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭mattP

What channel number will it be on on sky?

mattP wrote: »
    What channel number will it be on on sky?

From my post earlier in this thread;
    It is not on UPC, there has been no official word on whether the channel will be available in Ireland at all.

It is on the UK Sky EPG on channel 192. It is not currently on the ROI EPG, however at the moment, it can be tuned in via 'Other Channels' on Sky on 11081.00 H 22000 5/6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Just watched the pilot. Thought it was superb.

I understand people wanna see bang bang bang bang and money shot every which and way. It doesn't always have to be that way.

I enjoyed the pacing. The two leads or adult characters are good actors as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

The highway scene seemed exactly like the opening of World War Z.

Thought the same, especially when the motor cycle cop zipped by.

I enjoyed it, thought the pace was spot on. Liked the acting of the Junkie kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 33 joeyhehir

A question on the below...

Please explain about the "other channels" and the 11081.00 H 22000 5/6. I did once programe a VCR but the smart TVs are mindboggling.

{It is not on UPC, there has been no official word on whether the channel will be available in Ireland at all.

It has appeared on the UK Sky EPG on channel 192. It is not currently on the ROI EPG, however at the moment, it can be tuned in via 'Other Channels' on Sky on 11081.00 H 22000 5/6}

Any assitance is greatly appreciated.

Now I'm betting nick or nicky will be miraculously cured of his heroine addiction next week and have no withdrawl symptoms at all, mark my words ;)

Episode 2 spoiler below so be warned if you haven't seen it!
    Your words have been marked...an entire episode dedicated to his withdrawal, was that enough for you?
    :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

why did they let the daughter go off on her own?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Finally got around to watching this lastnight, it was...... ok IMO.

Felt a little too drawn out for all that actually happened in the episode. Appreciate they were trying to build up the family characters but it just felt too slow at times.

Interested to see what happens next though, will stick with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Only watched this last night.
    I wasn't too enamoured but I'll push on for the next few episodes.

I like the parents even if the Mam seems quite pushy.
    Not too sure about the kids yet but I think Nick will be the more interesting of the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Its not bad, in a way showing the start of it raises some suspension of belief issues. What's happening around the globe or even other parts of the US? On the face of it the authorities should be able to contain this even if its concluded that everyone is infected or being infected

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I'm 15 minutes into the first episode. I was waiting for a few episodes to pass by to watch in one go. So far not liking it. Is it worth sticking with?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

You make up your mind about something after 15 minutes of the first episode? Really?

5starpool wrote: »
    You make up your mind about something after 15 minutes of the first episode? Really?

Yup, reason I haven't watched any more than 15 mins of countless programmes. I have been right with most of my choices. I have followed on with fear the walking dead to the second episode only cause I love The original so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

ken wrote: »
    Yup, reason I haven't watched any more than 15 mins of countless programmes. I have been right with most of my choices. I have followed on with fear the walking dead to the second episode only cause I love The original so much.

I'd say at least watch whats available now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I found ep 4 a big improvement with lots of potential now, found first 3 iffy.

I watched all 4 episodes. Not really impressed. I know I shouldn't but it's hard not compare it to the original and it doesn't hold a candle to it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

ken wrote: »
    I watched all 4 episodes. Not really impressed. I know I shouldn't but it's hard not compare it to the original and it doesn't hold a candle to it yet.
    I'm sticking with it because I'm a huge fan of The Walking Dead. The last episode was really good and I'm looking forward to the next two episodes but I have to say, if it was a stand alone show, I wouldn't have invested so much time in it and probably would've given up after the first episode.

I've watched the first season of The Walking Dead a couple of times because it is fantastic and I would happily sit through the pilot again but I can't say the same for FTWD. If the first episode was on the tv, I'd change the channel.

Considering the huge fan base and all the feed back they have from where TWD was lacking, I thought they would come up with something better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement