Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hungry 8 week old

Options
  • 19-08-2015 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

hi,
    just looking for some opinions. my Ds is 8 wks and formula fed. he was 7lbs 9 at birth,fed very well from day 1 and was 10lbs 7 at 6wks.

he seems so hungry. he is currently drinking 6 bottles a day ..6ozs except for midfle of night feed of 4ozs(cos he cant stay awake!).

During the day we rarely get more than 3 hours between feeds. he has also started catnapping. only sleeping 30to 40 mins during the day and waking cranky.

im wondering if hes just hungry. should i change to hungry formula?
    i have heard hungry formula can cause constipated.

anyone any advice?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Have you tried giving more per bottle? Maybe put 8 ounces in the bottle and see will he take it. My daughter was just under 10 lb born and was putting away 5 ounce bottles in her first week. She settled into 5 8 ounce bottles in 24 hours fairly soon after that and then dropped night feed around 16 weeks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

joanene wrote: »
    except for midfle of night feed of 4ozs(cos he cant stay awake!).

They can feed in their sleep. Did it with my lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

The crankiness after naps might not be hunger. I read that if babies wake crying they may not have got enough sleep, if they wake happier (gurgling, smiling etc), they probably got enough rest.

I've read on here to just give more formula if hungry rather than switch to hungry baby formula.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Hungry formula is not recommended at all.

Try up the ounces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

And don't switch brands - it's not recommended

Maybe talk to your GP or it could be a growth spurt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 joanene

thanks for replies.
    i was talking to phn today and she said up the ounces too and see if that helps.
    im not going to try the hungry formula...it seems it's not recommended at all.

i agree that it could be lack of sleep thats making him unsettled but i suppose i was thinking that hunger was the reason he wasn't sleeping much!

thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Around 8 weeks there's a developmental leap, try the wonder weeks app! Some babies don't follow it but a lot do.

At that age, the leap messes with sleep patterns and makes them hungrier and fussier. Just up the ounces for a while. In a week or so he may start drinking less again and you can reduce.

Advertisement