Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

98FM sports broadcaster Johnny Lyons has died

Options
  • 19-08-2015 10:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

The 98FM sports presenter Johnny Lyons has been found dead at his home in Dublin.
    Mr Lyons, who presented the Now That’s What I Call Sport show at the station, had been off work with a broken ankle and was due to return next week.
    It is understood colleagues had had difficulty contacting him, which led to concerns. His body was discovered following a subsequent visit to his apartment in Dublin city centre on Wednesday evening.

While the cause of death is not known at this stage, foul play is not believed to be suspected.
    Friends and colleagues of the broadcaster, who was aged in his 40s, have been coming to terms with the news.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/98fm-presenter-johnny-lyons-found-dead-in-apartment-1.2322289

A sad day for Irish radio. Loved his sport and always seemed to enjoy himself on air. Ar dheis dé go raibh a anam.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Never liked his show or style of presenting. But he did know his stuff. RIP.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭buswankers

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/98fm-presenter-johnny-lyons-found-dead-in-apartment-1.2322289

A sad day for Irish radio. Loved his sport and always seemed to enjoy himself on air. Ar dheis dé go raibh a anam.

I heard this on 98fm earlier this evening, got goosebumps as I always associate him with the sports news & can't believe I won't ever hear him again. V v tragic as it must have been sudden. R.I.P Johnny Lyons.

I never heard of this guy until one day about 12 years ago I was in a garage paying for fuel and his radio station was on in the background. He was talking about what sport was on tv that evening. When he got to TG4 he said "you know the deal, folks; turn off the volume."

I was impressed by his ability to take an entirely unnecessary detour just to portray himself as narrow-minded and obnoxious.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I was impressed by his ability to take an entirely unnecessary detour just to portray himself as narrow-minded and obnoxious.
    To be fair to him, that's a persona that sport presenters usually have to imitate in order to appeal to their primary demographic; the laddish always-up-for-a-joke, slightly backwards and sexist persona.

Paul Collins on Today FM comes across as an obnoxious cock too, but people who like sports seem to love him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

I never heard of this guy until one day about 12 years ago I was in a garage paying for fuel and his radio station was on in the background. He was talking about what sport was on tv that evening. When he got to TG4 he said "you know the deal, folks; turn off the volume."

TBh a lot of people if they don't speak Irish and were watching a match on TG4 would turn down the volume.

The fact that he was saying what most of his listeners would be thinking made him popular.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Yeah narrow minded and obxoxious, sure to an audience that 99.99% don't understand nor give a sh'it about a dead language ... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Never miss a chance to kick a man when he's dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

I liked his style of presenting....will miss his voice of a morning...I know he was out of action...didn't realise he was ill...RIP Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cuilleog

It astonishes me that some people decide to come on a thread about a man who has just died to put the boot in. Well done, brave keyboard warriors. You never would have had the balls to say it to the man when he was alive

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 647 ✭✭✭RichardCeann

Touché.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

OMG! He made a joke about the Irish language not being popular? Has his body been displayed in front of the tavern yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

cuilleog wrote: »
    It astonishes me that some people decide to come on a thread about a man who has just died to put the boot in. Well done, brave keyboard warriors. You never would have had the balls to say it to the man when he was alive

Was it worth signing up for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cuilleog

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

was his cause of death ever reported ?

Advertisement