Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing Healthcare support course online

Options
  • 19-08-2015 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

hi, i have found that the Open College allows students to do this course at home without having to attend any lectures. I am currently looking for work experience as i have to undertake 150 hours and understand i will also have to do a patient handling course. Is there anything else i must do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭hairycakes

Hi RoRo979,

I'm currently doing that course. Your work placement will probably require Garda Vetting as well. You should try get that done as soon as possible as it can take a number of weeks to get back. Most places will also require Patient Manual Handling before taking you on. Some places might have in house training though.

If I can help you with anything else, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

hairycakes wrote: »
    Hi RoRo979,

I'm currently doing that course. Your work placement will probably require Garda Vetting as well. You should try get that done as soon as possible as it can take a number of weeks to get back. Most places will also require Patient Manual Handling before taking you on. Some places might have in house training though.

If I can help you with anything else, let me know.

Hi thanks for the reply.

I am doing a CPR/AED + patient handling course this week and have sent to garda vetting form off to get that out of the way. I have a chance to go to a nursing home or to Our ladys childrens hospital. Which one of those would be better suited for the course + experienece?

Oh great. The patient handling is a must really but the CPR+AED will be a huge benefit to you also. You will probably have to go with the nursing home as a lot of the course focuses around care of the elderly. For example, the assignments for one module require you to write a report about assisting client in feeding, showering and toileting and I don't think you would be doing much of that in a hospital, particularly a children's hospital. In saying that, they wanted me to go to a nursing home but I am doing the course with a view to going on to study social care so I wanted to work with people who have intellectual disabilities and I was lucky to find a residence that has a unit for elderly clients so I am completing my work experience there.

What do you hope to do once it's completed?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

hairycakes wrote: »
    Oh great. The patient handling is a must really but the CPR+AED will be a huge benefit to you also. You will probably have to go with the nursing home as a lot of the course focuses around care of the elderly. For example, the assignments for one module require you to write a report about assisting client in feeding, showering and toileting and I don't think you would be doing much of that in a hospital, particularly a children's hospital. In saying that, they wanted me to go to a nursing home but I am doing the course with a view to going on to study social care so I wanted to work with people who have intellectual disabilities and I was lucky to find a residence that has a unit for elderly clients so I am completing my work experience there.

What do you hope to do once it's completed?

just so you know yourself, cheeverstown in templeoge would be willing to take you on for a bit of experience if you wanted some. They only have about 3 slots a week doing sport but it could be what your looking to do and maybe the experience will help you land there. I will go to the nursing home so thank you very much. Well tallaght hospital, a nursing home and our lady's hospital are local to me so I would be happy to try and land a job in one of those areas. My mother worked in Mount Carmel hospital before it closed and I did a bit of work experience there during Transition Year of school and didnt find it too bad.

That's really good to know. Thanks for that. I'll have to stick where I am for this course but that's good to know for the further course in Social Studies I want to do. That would be the area I would like to eventually get into. Once you enjoy working with people you'll get on fine :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement