Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revenue check at Rush & Lusk.

Options
  • 19-08-2015 9:08pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭


    Doing a pick up at Rush & Lusk Station this evening, Revenue Officers were doing a check.

    No they weren't checking the Tax Saver Tickets, or the Bike for Work scheme, or White van men, they were pulling in the NI, and UK registered cars.

    So some fools, parking all day at the train station, while at work, and returning from work at 6-7pm, are parking there no VRT, unregistered imported cars at the station, sure no one will notice.

    Bit of a " shooting fish in a rain barrell " but well done to Revenue,

    Driving my insured, taxed, NCT'd with the VRT paid, car, it's about time this was clamped down on.

    Muppets.


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭kaahooters


    martinn123 wrote: »
    Doing a pick up at Rush & Lusk Station this evening, Revenue Officers were doing a check.

    No they weren't checking the Tax Saver Tickets, or the Bike for Work scheme, or White van men, they were pulling in the NI, and UK registered cars.

    So some fools, parking all day at the train station, while at work, and returning from work at 6-7pm, are parking there no VRT, unregistered imported cars at the station, sure no one will notice.

    Bit of a " shooting fish in a rain barrell " but well done to Revenue,

    Driving my insured, taxed, NCT'd with the VRT paid, car, it's about time this was clamped down on.

    Muppets.

    Revenue Seize non vrt cars, so the should be returning to an empty parking lotSpace and a bill for unpaid vrt.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick


    kaahooters wrote: »
    Revenue Seize non vrt cars, so the should be returning to an empty parking lotSpace and a bill for unpaid vrt.

    How would revenue know the car wasn't being driven by a non-resident if the driver was not there?:confused:


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris


    martinn123 wrote: »

    Bit of a " shooting fish in a rain barrell " but well done to Revenue,

    Well if thats what it takes to get people to pay up for vrt & tax let them at it, maybe they should hit a few more carparks


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123


    It's amazing how stupid some people can be

    I am looking out the office window, and see a car, all Logo'd Up for the Business.
    Web-Site Details, local address, and local Phone Number, all on a NI plate.

    ''Honestly Officer, I am just down here on holidays''


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB


    This is happening quite a bit and not just cars but Lorry and vans also. Does it depend on the registered address of the owner? What if someone is from Newry but works in republic and goes home at weekends? It is only an hour from Rush to Newry. I know of one person from just outside Belfast who goes home every weekend but works in Dublin. You do have a certain amount of time to register the car from what I remember. I was going to buy a car a few years ago from a large garage in Belfast but they done all that for you. People moving from U.K back to here do they have 90 days?

    Quite a few people who work for northern companies drive N.I registered cars and vans registered to the company owner or address. It is easier to drive in a UK reg car than driving around the north in a southern registered car or van in some areas.

    However if they are driving it here all the time and not connected by work or what ever to the north they should of course pay up the VRT


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Hero777


    LeoB wrote: »
    This is happening quite a bit and not just cars but Lorry and vans also. Does it depend on the registered address of the owner? What if someone is from Newry but works in republic and goes home at weekends? It is only an hour from Rush to Newry. I know of one person from just outside Belfast who goes home every weekend but works in Dublin. You do have a certain amount of time to register the car from what I remember. I was going to buy a car a few years ago from a large garage in Belfast but they done all that for you. People moving from U.K back to here do they have 90 days?

    Quite a few people who work for northern companies drive N.I registered cars and vans registered to the company owner or address. It is easier to drive in a UK reg car than driving around the north in a southern registered car or van in some areas.

    However if they are driving it here all the time and not connected by work or what ever to the north they should of course pay up the VRT

    I believe that you have to be resident in NI for 4 out of the 7 days of the week to not be eligible for VRT. The idea here is that your address in NI would be your principle residence.

    If you move down south you need to re register your car within 6 months. However i think that the first one is free as long as you haven't just bought the car. Also once re registered you can not sell said car for 6 months to a year.

    If you buy a car from the UK and are a permanent resident of the Republic you have 30 days to re register it and pay the VRT.

    Personally feel that the VRT is completely wrong. It defeats the idea of an open and free European Market. Yet again another example of the government driving up prices.

    I think there may be people taking the Irish government to the European courts on this


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus


    I also believe that VRT is wrong, but it's more wrong that I have to pay it and other people chose not to and mostly get away with it. People from NI with complex living/working situations is one thing, but there are a lot of people who were born and bred in the south driving UK registered cars and evading VRT.


Advertisement