Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historical Fiction set in Irish Free State?

Options
  • 19-08-2015 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Anyone have some recommendations on historical fiction that'd be set in Ireland around post-Civil War 1920s or 1930s? Read a few articles on the so called Animal Gangs of 30s-40s Dublin and was wondering if there's anything out there that portrays Irish city life around that time, or even a few years earlier.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think you might like The Informer by Liam O'Flaherty. I read it a year or two ago and enjoyed it. It's set in the 1920s after the Civil War.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 MvN

Cheers Mr. Nice Guy! Was just reading a plot summary and it sounds fascinating. I like the idea of a protagonist who's not all brains and good looks. I'll see if I can get a copy on Amazon.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Offhand some of the works by Maurice Walsh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 MvN

Can't believe I forgot about him. Cheers for that Manach! I need to start drawing up a list. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭heathledgerlove

JenJo? Though her settings tend to be in the countryside / country estates. Except the brilliant Shadows on Our Skin, but that's set in the 70s or 80s I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Seems to be a neglected period in terms of fiction, the only thing that springs immediately to mind is The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry

Advertisement