Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried for a friend....work stress

Options
  • 19-08-2015 5:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭

They're off sick for a fews months with work stress, also suffers from depression.
    They had a work related stress issue which caused them to be absent, company failed to deal with the issue twice.
    Now they have cut off pay to them...I'm very worried for this person, person has done harm to themselves in the past.
    Any advice to give them? Not really my area.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Have they checked their contract and the sick leave policy in their work?

A lot of companies will only pay sick leave for a certain amount of time, if they paid sick leave at all.

There is no obligation on the employer to pay sick leave.

Has your friend applied for illness benefit?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Mr.Carter

Yes they have, they're illness benefit will not even cover their rent.
    Company has a sickpay scheme and could pay it longer, it's up to them.
    They caused my friends issues with regards to been able to stay in work.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Mr.Carter wrote: »

How long have they been out for?

And did they report the work related issues to HR?

The fact it's work related stress doesn't imply any obligation on the employer to pay sick leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Employers are not required to pay employees during sick leave, those that agree to often only do so for a certain period of time so unless your friend's contract specifically states he/she is entitled to pay during absence due to illness indefinitely, the employer is within their rights to cease pay.

Whether the employer caused the illness or not is subjective at the moment and does not mean that the employer must pay while the employee is out sick. If your friend believes that his/her employer was negligent/discriminated against him/her or bullied your friend, then your friend can get legal advice and seek redress for lost income/damages.

I'll see can I get them to talk to a solicitor, thanks

• Advertisement

I'll see can I get them to talk to a solicitor, thanks

They can also ring NERA 1800 902 413

Have they followed the internal processing for reporting a grievance?

Stheno wrote: »
    They can also ring NERA 1800 902 413

Have they followed the internal processing for reporting a grievance?

From what I've been told by them, yes...they used the companies own policies etc, it appears company said they'd help sort it and then did feck all.
    Might ring citizens advice tomorrow and ask them for a bit of advice too.

Nera...who are they?

From what I've been told by them, yes...they used the companies own policies etc, it appears company said they'd help sort it and then did feck all.
    Might ring citizens advice tomorrow and ask them for a bit of advice too.

Nera...who are they?
    Employment right group better thank citizens info for stuff like this
    R

Ok, looked them up. Will contact them.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,943 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

make sure your friend is getting medical help with their stress and mental health problems as well. fair play to you for being a concerned friend.

• Advertisement

They are as far as I know, but still this latest thing has them a bit fcuked up atm.
    I'm going to see if I can get their doctors name on the QT and maybe get the doc to check up on them...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,943 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

They are as far as I know, but still this latest thing has them a bit fcuked up atm.
    I'm going to see if I can get their doctors name on the QT and maybe get the doc to check up on them...

fair play to you. im sure your friend isnt alone in this kind of situation. im sure theres many families dealing with this kinna stuff right now across the country. its deeply worrying. just do what you can to help them but make sure you look after yourself and your own family to. hard to know how far to go with things but trying to find out their doc might be a step too far. its hard to know really but i guess you know your friend better and have a better understanding of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Tubberadora

I wouldn't advise that tbh. If your friend is on illness benefit he needs to be getting doctors certs for the social welfare so he must be seeing the doctor at least monthly.
    You could ask him has he told the doctor everything without asking him details. Advise that he may need to produce a statement from a doctor in say the case of an unfair dismissal etc. This way he will be more open with the doctor and the doctor can take it from there.
    Meanwhile you are not seeing to be interfering, only offering advise and hopefully pointing him in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,764 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Be aware that the doctor may be willing to listen to you, but they cannot tell you anything. So expect it to be a very one-way conversation.

Advertisement