Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling with Ryanair - buggy query

Options
  • 19-08-2015 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

Hello All
    I'm due to travel with my 2.5 year old on Ryanair in a Couple of weeks.

My question is - is it better to check in my buggy - an Out N About Nipper, or to hang on to it until We reach the plane? I have a bag for the buggy and I'm anxious that it'll get damaged in transit if I leave it at the plane steps.

What did anyone else do? I'd be grateful for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Leinster1980

Unshelved wrote: »
    Hello All
    I'm due to travel with my 2.5 year old on Ryanair in a Couple of weeks.

My question is - is it better to check in my buggy - an Out N About Nipper, or to hang on to it until We reach the plane? I have a bag for the buggy and I'm anxious that it'll get damaged in transit if I leave it at the plane steps.

What did anyone else do? I'd be grateful for any advice!

We brought our buggy right through. I also wore a sling. I found the buggy very handy as it gets hot lugging bags around. We left the buggy at the steps of the plane and there was no damage at all to our buggy. We have a city mini jogger GT. Also we used the airport genie service, 10 euro for me and the baby and we used the express check through on security. I'd highly recommend it. We had been advised at the desk to use the family queue but I was so glad we used the airport genie as every family uses the family queue and the queue was massive. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Thanks for your help Leinster 1980!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I brought ours to the gate too, much easier to be able to strap the child in because there can be long walks to the gate etc, and we found it handy to be able to hang things on the buggy too!
    The only time I've seen damage to buggies is if they come unlocked and the staff don't know how to fold them properly, so I got some heavy luggage straps, had them adjusted to the right size before we got there and as soon as I folded it at the gate I clicked the straps around it so even if it did unlock it wouldn't open.
    Hope that makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Re: the family queue, you only NEED to use the queue if you have extra liquids like milk or water for your baby. You can use any of the others otherwise. The family queue is also the disabled queue and previously we had people in wheelchairs and their entire entourage of ten people skip us, twice in 2 min! We were in that queue for 30 min!

I've since heard staff will now only let one person through with wheelchair user thankfully.

We've always brought our buggy to the gate, imagine if your flight was suddenly delayed or cancelled? Better to have it! You can a,ways put it in the bag just before you board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You'll probably be lucky with the family queue more often than not, I've pretty much walked right to the scanner every time I've used it. A couple of weeks ago they even called us over to another they opened for us when there was a family ahead of us. I've actually never seen a queue more than a few at it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

When my wife travels with the kids I get the concierge service for them which includes airport genie.
    Its invaluable when milk needs to be scanned as he looks after it as well as putting the buggy on the xray.
    It also let's my wife get the kids to the toilet or shops without having to manage bags and buggy's.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

I always bring it as far as the plane and have never seen it damaged before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭xalot

I took the nipper right up to the plane with Ryanair last November and had no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭crunchie1

we brought the buggy through, just remember to collect it at the steps in some airports, some send it to the belt with other luggage. Also when the airport staff see the buggy you will probably be passed by the queue

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Sincere thanks to everyone for the advice. We brought the buggy bag and popped the buggy in once boarding was called.

It came in very handy because we were able to stash a bit of extra stuff in the bag that wasn't needed on the short flight - large number of extra nappies were deposited there, and a few bits and bobs that would have pushed our baggage weight over the limit so we stashed them in the buggy at check-in. Plus it was teeming with rain in Dublin when we landed last Friday and it stopped the buggy from getting soaked on the runway.

However we were the only ones on board using a buggy bag and everyone else's buggy appeared to be fine - if damp- so I'm not 100% sure that we'd use it again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement