Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difficult Colleague

Options
  • 19-08-2015 12:10pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I currently work for a large Multinational in the Dublin/Kildare region of the Country. I'm here just over a year and my contract is due to end in October, unless I find something new in the meantime.

Since I've received the news, a more Senior work Colleague has become extremely difficult to work with, almost borderline bullying in his demands to get tasks done.

I suffer from Bipolar 1 and Generalized Anxiety Disorder, making me very edgy and anxious when pressured to the absolute extreme, even though I am medicated and stable for years now. My colleagues know this, but I feel this issue is being exploited by my colleague. I could be paranoid, but where we've had very little contact in the past, he have become extremely verbally aggressive, almost abusive.

Has anyone ever experienced this before. It's making me feel like I should just pack up all my shít and just leave now rather than see out my contract.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Itzy wrote: »
    I currently work for a large Multinational in the Dublin/Kildare region of the Country. I'm here just over a year and my contract is due to end in October, unless I find something new in the meantime.

Since I've received the news, a more Senior work Colleague has become extremely difficult to work with, almost borderline bullying in his demands to get tasks done.

I suffer from Bipolar 1 and Generalized Anxiety Disorder, making me very edgy and anxious when pressured to the absolute extreme, even though I am medicated and stable for years now. My colleagues know this, but I feel this issue is being exploited by my colleague. I could be paranoid, but where we've had very little contact in the past, he have become extremely verbally aggressive, almost abusive.

Has anyone ever experienced this before. It's making me feel like I should just pack up all my shít and just leave now rather than see out my contract.

Make notes of all interactions with him, then go to a manager or even better HR and Union if you have them in the company.
    This person is affecting your right to a safe working place.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

Maybe have a word with the guy first...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I've spoken to him already, but he sees himself as a next in line Manager type, who should rule with an iron fist. As for HR, I don't have that luxury as I am a Contractor. I had a great Account Manager, who has since moved to Microsoft.

It's got to the point where, if I'm in work, I just feel like I could up and leave on the spot. If I'm at home, I could think to myself, that I should ring and tell them I ain't coming back, end of.

I'm not someone who would actually do that, but it fills me with dread at the thought of coming in to work in the mornings to the stage where I'm getting sick.

The only option I may have, is to speak with the internal Manager I work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I know you're a contractor but if you're working on site then surely HR have a responsibility as to your well being. Can you take holidays? Maybe use up what you have and line up a couple of interviews. And definitely have a chat with your manager and see what they can do. Iron fist?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,761 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Lux23 wrote: »
    I know you're a contractor but if you're working on site then surely HR have a responsibility as to your well being.

If it's the employer I'm thinking of, then no, they don't. It's made very clear that the OP's welfare is the responsibility of either the agent who placed their (if daily-rate contractor) or the agency who is their employer (if agency employed - which I think is more likely given the scenario). They take bullying very seriously .. and that means that taking the problem to them would see them take it to the client, and blow it up to be something bigger than it needs to be. It may also mark you as a problem-child in terms of getting more contracts with them.

OP, I'd try the informal chat to an internal manager, they may have some strategies for deflecting Mr Wannabe BigBoss.

Also, you don't have to see the contract out. Start job-hunting (both internally and externally) now, and if you find something just give whatever notice your contract requires.

And bear in mind that you may be bearing the brunt of anger about some other decision. Eg someone in head office has decided that agency workers will no longer be used for <<what you've been doing>>, so the permies have been told they will have to do it. Or maybe they're getting a headcount-cull, too. It may not be about you at all - even though it feels that way to you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Thanks Mrs OB, you're pretty much spot on there. I'll arrange something today or tomorrow with the Manager.

It's the last straw this morning with my colleague. He almost caused a crash this morning on the way in to work, cutting me off at a roundabout and causing me to jam on my breaks.

I've officially had enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,761 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Itzy wrote: »
    It's the last straw this morning with my colleague. He almost caused a crash this morning on the way in to work, cutting me off at a roundabout and causing me to jam on my breaks.

I've officially had enough.

Time for raising it formally with your agent and the guards, if he's behaving like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭daheff

Time for raising it formally with your agent and the guards, if he's behaving like that.

While its the same person you have issues with in work, can you prove with any kind of certainty this person cut you off knowingly? and not just because of carelessness?

I'd be very careful reporting something like this internally as its something thats happened outside of work /worktime (ok if it was at a roundabout on work premises you might have a cause to report them for dangerous/careless driving)...but other than that, its more a report to the Gardai issue (as a concerned citizen I'm reporting another vehicle dangerously/recklessly going through a roundabout.

It happened outside of work so, I'll be letting it slide. I've taken the time today, to sit back and do nothing about it, until I'm in a reasonable and rational state of mind. I suffer from Bipolar 1 and Anxiety/Panic Attacks, so I'm liable to shoot first and ask questions later as a result.

I'll be a little more calculated in raising this with my internal Manager and Account Manager, whom I've spoken to already regarding work related stress without going into too much detail.

• Advertisement
Advertisement