Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exploited by the security alarm serviceman

Options
  • 19-08-2015 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I called a guy from <SNIP> - Co. Meath to service my alarm system at home. My alarm system did not have any master or engineer code, which means anyone could repair or service it. This security guy locked it with a code.

Next time when I had problem, I called another guy (Because I didn't like previous guy) who told he can't do anything because system was locked and only previous alarm serviceman can repair etc. I called this first man to ask for the code which he refused and said, He can only unlock it if he pays a visit and would charge €130 for it. I don't know how to deal with this issue. Should I take it to the small claims court?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

What make/model is the alarm and who was the company you used to service it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 anaya

durtybit wrote: »
    What make/model is the alarm and who was the company you used to service it?

<SNIP>

The Alarm system says hkc securewatch (IS 199 1987)

anaya wrote: »
    <SNIP>

The Alarm system says hkc securewatch (IS 199 1987)

Hkc engineers code is 4567 and the master code is 1111, might be worth a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭daheff

I'd be telling the engineer that he was at no time instructed to lock this unit with a code and should be returning it to the initial state.

Effectively hes holding you to ransom here. Hes made it that either he does the servicing or you pay him so that you can get somebody else to do it (effectively setting up a monopoly for himself for you).

Not sure how legally this would work, but if he refuses to unlock the alarm I'd be asking to your solicitor to get involved (rather than small claims court).

durtybit wrote: »
    Hkc engineers code is 4567 and the master code is 1111, might be worth a shot

Thanks, the other security guy checked the master codes and determined it was changed by someone.

• Advertisement

daheff wrote: »
    I'd be telling the engineer that he was at no time instructed to lock this unit with a code and should be returning it to the initial state.

Effectively hes holding you to ransom here. Hes made it that either he does the servicing or you pay him so that you can get somebody else to do it (effectively setting up a monopoly for himself for you).

Not sure how legally this would work, but if he refuses to unlock the alarm I'd be asking to your solicitor to get involved (rather than small claims court).

From a little reading apparently this practice is in order to ensure no liability to them for others tinkering with the alarm settings, plus a solicitor will charge a lot more than the said sum of a call out

daheff wrote: »

Thanks a lot, I think I would try to talk to him again about this, otherwise I would talk to the attorney, I don't want him to get away with this easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭homer911

I had a similar problem with an alarm company based in south county Dublin - they had originally installed the alarm, with an engineer code.

After complaining via their website they offered to call out, free of charge, to enable me to reset the engineer code to one of my choosing, so it was a good result in the end

homer911 wrote: »
    I had a similar problem with an alarm company based in south county Dublin - they had originally installed the alarm, with an engineer code.

After complaining via their website they offered to call out, free of charge, to enable me to reset the engineer code to one of my choosing, so it was a good result in the end

I think there is only one guy who owns this company, I will try to talk to him again, he was very firm for the first time and said he will take call out fee

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Advertisement

is there a not a professaional association you could contact first ?
    Thank you so much, I have contacted them, let see what happens.

Advertisement