Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Tax Arrears - No Declaration of Non-Use

Options
  • 19-08-2015 7:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

- I went to live and work abroad in mid-2000's and garaged a classic car then.
    - Spoke with guards at time, they advised make declaration of non-use on return. Correct procedure at that time.
    - Now back, got car fixed up and went to tax it and Motor Tax want approx. 10 years back tax with interest and penalties.
    - Legislation changed while I was away, I was unaware. Car never driven since garaged.

Anyone experience of any exemption in similar case?
    Is there any loophole available, whereby I transfer/'sell'' the car to a family member then transfer back after a short period?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Rpdana wrote: »
    Is there any loophole available, whereby I transfer/'sell'' the car to a family member then transfer back after a short period?
    yes

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved to Motors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

No there is no loophole. What makes you think that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭alias no.9

A new owner would not be liable for back tax beyond the date of purchase and to date there has been no evidence or suggestion of the previous owner being pursued for the back tax.

I'm not sure that this is a loophole, just the sh!t system as it exists.

In the UK if a car is not taxed or declared off the road (SORN) then you just get a fine in the post. Here we persist with administrivia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

alias no.9 wrote: »
    administrivia.
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Boskowski wrote: »
    No there is no loophole. What makes you think that?

Yes there is. I took ownership of my brothers car last year when he went to england but only sent the logbook away to put my name on it last month. Just like that, I'm only liable for tax from last month. Only instead of taxing it, I declared it properly off the road via the online application and will tax it once I pass it's nct. Easy!
    (Worth mentioning I didn't drive the car on public roads etc etc etc....)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭alias no.9

:pac:

Can't claim credit for that one, I heard it on the radio one Sunday morning, just doing my bit to make it a real word through usage. Too long for countdown however!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

In fairness, it's not a 'loophole' in the new SORD system.
    It has always been the case that a new owner is not liable for any arrears.....prior to the 1st of the month in which the change of ownership occurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭blackbox

I had a delay getting a logbook for a used car and didn't get to declare it off the road within the 10 day period.

I asked in the local motor tax office could I claim special circumstances to avoid paying for 3 months. The person behind the counter advised me to transfer ownership to a family member.

Advertisement