Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Tax Arrears - No Declaration of Non-Use

Options
  • 19-08-2015 7:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

- I went to live and work abroad in mid-2000's and garaged a classic car then.
    - Spoke with guards at time, they advised make declaration of non-use on return. Correct procedure at that time.
    - Now back, got car fixed up and went to tax it and Motor Tax want approx. 10 years back tax with interest and penalties.
    - Legislation changed while I was away, I was unaware. Car never driven since garaged.

Anyone experience of any exemption in similar case?
    Is there any loophole available, whereby I transfer/'sell'' the car to a family member then transfer back after a short period?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Rpdana wrote: »
    Is there any loophole available, whereby I transfer/'sell'' the car to a family member then transfer back after a short period?
    yes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    yes

+1

Its a ridicilous situation..you should be able to declare at any stage and NOT have to renew it every year, if its off the road its off the road for as long as youre not using it.....its another money making scam..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

Change the registered owner and the arrears will disappear. Maybe your Da or Brother would like to be the new paper owner for a short while

Change the registered owner and the arrears will disappear. Maybe your Da or Brother would like to be the new paper owner for a short while

Dont trust family...do you never watch Judge Judy.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

This happened a "close friend"
    His "other friend" "purchased" the car and when the ownership changed, the unpaid taxes seems to disappear into the mist.
    I believe the "close friend" may be "purchasing" the car back soon:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,994 ✭✭✭✭unkel

went to tax it and Motor Tax want approx. 10 years back tax with interest and penalties.

This kind of stupid legislation would drive even a saint to break the law.

unkel wrote: »
    This kind of stupid legislation would drive even a saint to break the law.
    But there is no need to break the law!
    Transfer ownership to anyone else - they tax the car without the need to pay any arrears - they transfer the car back to you - taxed and clear of any arrears.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Big Red Fella

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    But there is no need to break the law!
    Transfer ownership to anyone else - they tax the car without the need to pay any arrears - they transfer the car back to you - taxed and clear of any arrears.

they dont have to tax it just declare it off the road dont be givin them feckers any money!

they dont have to tax it just declare it off the road dont be givin them feckers any money!

You only need to transfer it...then back , and thats it...

"But - there's a hole in the bucket dear Elisa, dear Elisa ..."
    ... went to tax it and Motor Tax want approx. 10 years back tax with interest and penalties...

Since OP was going to tax it I presumed car was going back on the road. It would therefore have to be taxed and rather than requiring the "new" owner to declare it off the road - easiest is to just get them to tax it then transfer it back.

If it is not going back on the road no action is required at all. Status quo rules - don't do anything, don't transfer ownership, don't transfer ownership back and don't tax it - nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

I would be inclined to do a change of ownership ( and back again), then declare it SORD, if keeping it off the road (otherwise just tax it after the change).
    You never know when the rules might change........;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

This happened a "close friend"
    His "other friend" "purchased" the car and when the ownership changed, the unpaid taxes seems to disappear into the mist.
    I believe the "close friend" may be "purchasing" the car back soon:D

I think I know a friend of your 'friend'.

Her 'husband' took possession of 'her' car for a while when she was unexpectedly called away to a sick relative overseas.

Happens.

But she's back now, and she's got her 'back' from the husband again.

P.S. the relative is doing well.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...Her 'husband' took possession of 'her' car for a while when she was unexpectedly called away to a sick relative overseas...
    Taking possession won't work! The back story is ott and surplus to requirements.

It is 100% legal to tranfer ownership to ANYONE else and back again. It is the transfer in ownership that does the necessary. The new owner is NOT responsible for the outstanding back taxes and can tax it from date of transfer and can transfer it back again whenever... The outstanding overdue back tax don't follow and are 100% legally "written off".

Advertisement