Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Travel pass

Options
  • 18-08-2015 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I looked in the Prior questions for answers to my questions but could not fine them. I have a free travel pass issues to me by the State. Can I use it straight away on Bus Eireann and Irish rail or do I need to get something done, And how do I apply for one of the cards needed for intercity public transport. Eg in Cork or Dublin. That it says on the Pass

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I looked in the Prior questions for answers to my questions but could not fine them. I have a free travel pass issues to me by the State. Can I use it straight away on Bus Eireann and Irish rail or do I need to get something done, And how do I apply for one of the cards needed for intercity public transport. Eg in Cork or Dublin. That it says on the Pass
    Is your card a plastic credit card type card or is it a paper pass inside a plastic pocket?

If it is the credit card type with a "T" in the corner then you just sign the back and can use it on any bus or Luas or Dart you just tag on at the barrier and board as normal, for intercity and commuter trains you need to get a ticket from the booking office by showing your pass

If you live in Dublin city, Cork city, Limerick city, Waterford city or Galway city and you have the paper pass then you are supposed to get a "photopass" from any of the travel centres in Bus Eireann stations or at the main rail stations or at Dublin bus HQ.

BUT afaik those "photopass" ID cards are no longer being given out due to the rollout of the new cards so it would be best to have some form of photo ID with you when using the paper pass.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think the plastic cards need to be activated. Phone Sligo to get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 VictoryForCake

I have only a paper pass, So Since I cannot get a photopass I have to use the paper one but bring photo ID eg My Driving License. But the Social security cards will eventually double up as free travel passes?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

..... But the Social security cards will eventually double up as free travel passes?

Yes, the new Public Services Card will cover free travel, there will be an 'FT' in large letters in the top-left corner and if you are disabled or over 70 and therefore allowed a companion to travel (for free) with you, it will have a 'C' for companion.

If you have the new card, you are expected to validate it on one of the machines when boarding a Dublin bus, the one on the pillar on the right as you board. You normally do not apply for the card, you wait for the local social welfare office to invite you in with your documentation to complete the process.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/public_services_card.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I have only a paper pass, So Since I cannot get a photopass I have to use the paper one but bring photo ID eg My Driving License. But the Social security cards will eventually double up as free travel passes?
    https://www.welfare.ie/en/downloads/Sample%20PSCFT.pdf

https://www.welfare.ie/en/downloads/PSC-ITS.pdf

should explain the new cards in better detail, and a companion pass is only issued where medical evidence suggests a person may be unable to travel alone safely.

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    ... a companion pass is only issued where medical evidence suggests a person may be unable to travel alone safely.

Not so, I know a perfectly healthy hill walker who has an FT+C card and it's because he's over 70.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭shodge

and a companion pass is only issued where medical evidence suggests a person may be unable to travel alone safely.

well they should not be allowed to travel on their own, they either need a companion or they dont.

... a companion pass is only issued where medical evidence suggests a person may be unable to travel alone safely.

Update on this.....

If you are under 70 and want a companion pass, you have to be medically assessed and certified that you cannot travel alone. In other words, you have to undergo a medical examination.

If you are over 70, it's simply a matter of you declaring this to be the case i.e. 'I am medically unfit to travel alone so please give me a companion pass'. By the looks of it they have thrown in the towel and they now give everyone over 70 a companion pass, that's free travel passes on the new PSC card at any rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

coylemj wrote: »
    Update on this.....

If you are under 70 and want a companion pass, you have to be medically assessed and certified that you cannot travel alone. In other words, you have to undergo a medical examination.

If you are over 70, it's simply a matter of you declaring this to be the case i.e. 'I am medically unfit to travel alone so please give me a companion pass'. By the looks of it they have thrown in the towel and they now give everyone over 70 a companion pass, that's free travel passes on the new PSC card at any rate.

I never knew this. Is there a link anywhere that you are aware of on DSP site?

I know someone who will jump on this tomorrow, and it ain't me!

I never knew this. Is there a link anywhere that you are aware of on DSP site?

I know someone who will jump on this tomorrow, and it ain't me!

See the first link under the header 'Application Forms' on the right of this webpage......

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/204_Free-Travel.aspx

• Advertisement

See the first link under the header 'Application Forms' on the right of this webpage......

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/204_Free-Travel.aspx

Ah thanks very much for the link.

I am having great fun here trying to think of those things that would require an over 70s companion pass!

I wonder if they would call the main pass holder in to prove the declaration. Seems not.

I know my auntie will be applying tomorrow for a companion pass for her "companion". Guaranteed!

Thank you again. Amazing what is available but little known all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Not so, I know a perfectly healthy hill walker who has an FT+C card and it's because he's over 70.

Foggy is right, to have a companion pass you have to be deemed medically unfit to travel on their own. Some are looking for it just to bring friends for free. This hill Walker is not alone, there are plenty of people out there with this pass who are well enough to travel on their own. A crackdown needs to be done so only those that actually need a companion to travel has them and not those that want to bring their friends shopping in Newry for free.

.... a companion pass is only issued where medical evidence suggests a person may be unable to travel alone safely.
    Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Foggy is right, to have a companion pass you have to be deemed medically unfit to travel on their own

Foggy is wrong and so are you ....... you do not need to be judged by medical evidence (him) or be deemed medically unfit (you).

When the applicant is over 70, all that is required is that the applicant self-certifies that he/she is unfit to travel alone.

Read the application form...... (PDF download) ....

https://www.welfare.ie/en/pdf/compft_70.pdf

Foggy is wrong and so are you ....... you do not need to be judged by medical evidence (him) or be deemed medically unfit (you).

When the applicant is over 70, all that is required is that the applicant self-certifies that he/she is unfit to travel alone.

Read the application form...... (PDF download) ....

https://www.welfare.ie/en/pdf/compft_70.pdf

Then it needs to be changed then doesnt it. Its madness people getting passes just to bring family members shopping for free. Its madness that passes are being handed out without the relevant checks being made in the first place. Ive seen people in their 40's and 50's with these companion passes who are using them to commute to work.Unless they are unable to travel alone then they shouldnt be getting this pass.

Then it needs to be changed then doesnt it. Its madness people getting passes just to bring family members shopping for free. Its madness that passes are being handed out without the relevant checks being made in the first place. Ive seen people in their 40's and 50's with these companion passes who are using them to commute to work.Unless they are unable to travel alone then they shouldnt be getting this pass.

But surely a companion can not use the pass unless accompanied by the FTP holder. There is only one pass, not a separate one for the FTP and the companion. But maybe I am not interpreting your comment correctly.

If a revenue checker found a companion using the pass without the the FTP holder, the pass should be withdrawn for a period from the FTP holder as a disincentive.

But sure whilst most people are honest, if there are no deterrents, people will chance their arms.

I didn't suggest the companion use it on their own. I mean a social welfare pass shouldn't be on a plus one basis unless you are physically or mentally uncapable to travel on your own.

I didn't suggest the companion use it on their own. I mean a social welfare pass shouldn't be on a plus one basis unless you are physically or mentally uncapable to travel on your own.

You mentioned that people are using the FTP+C card to commute to work - are you suggesting that they rouse their elderly mother or father out of bed every morning to accompany them to work to save the bus fare?

There are plenty of younger people who must be on disability allowances and who bound on to the bus and flash the FTP, I see them on the buses every day and most of them look pretty able-bodied to me.

No, I'm saying that they have their own pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Update on this.....

This is quite an interesting development,which apparently only came into use in April 2015,and highlights the DSP's somewhat singular approach to the Free Travel Scheme.

With the FTP budget remaining frozen at 2010 levels,one may now expect the Operators to seek an increase based on the additional numbers now being added by the DSP.

Whilst seemingly innocious,the process does seek quite specific declarations from the 70+ customer as to their medical condition,along with a witnessed signature above some Hi-Viz Red Warning Text.

As can also be noted from the DSP's site,the old Corn-Flake Box pass is no longer issued,with instead,a new application form available to exchange it for the DSP-FT Card.

With the DSP-FT card issuing process proceeding apace,it is likely that the actual end-date for the validity of the Cardboard pass will be advanced towards Q2 2016.

The ability of the new card to provide the DSP (and Public Transport Operators) with real-time statistical data is already reaping benefits in terms of service planning.

The requirement for the "Spouse-Companion" to now have a seperate paper ticket also specifically,in print, ties both parties to the journey of the passholder only.

As an aside,by far and away the most positive responses has been from the OAP customers,the vast majority of whom have taken to the Validation process like a duck to water.

The most grief I recieve,tends to be from unhappy individuals attempting to use their,non-Free Travel,DSP (Blue Logo) Pass who are now Beep-Beep'd as they attempt to rush past....In the old days (to quote Del's Uncle Albert) a tactically placed thumb and a swift wave got you past the Busdriver...but now,the steam-driven Validator catches them out...oh well....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

You mentioned that people are using the FTP+C card to commute to work - are you suggesting that they rouse their elderly mother or father out of bed every morning to accompany them to work to save the bus fare?

There are plenty of younger people who must be on disability allowances and who bound on to the bus and flash the FTP, I see them on the buses every day and most of them look pretty able-bodied to me.

Lots of disabilities that you can't see - don't be so silly in assuming that because somebody can "bound" onto the bus that there's nothing wrong with them.

• Advertisement

Sorry just to clarify, I can use the paper pass on Bus Eireann and Irish Rail but not on the intercity transport yes?

You can use it on all public transport.

I sign my name on the bottom right, And the Date is that of which is signed it right?

Ye

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Sorry to revive an old thread. So to go outside of say Dublin, you use the travel pass to get a ticket at the office? I wanna go from Malahide to Dundalk tomorrow, just checking.

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

You normally do not apply for the card, you wait for the local social welfare office to invite you in with your documentation to complete the process.

This bit is wrong, Its centralised in a few social welfare offices. Mrs C had to go all the way into Cumberland st to get her card, despite more local offices in Balbriggan, Coolock, Swords, Ballymun etc...

This bit is wrong, Its centralised in a few social welfare offices. Mrs C had to go all the way into Cumberland st to get her card, despite more local offices in Balbriggan, Coolock, Swords, Ballymun etc...

My bad, the office in Dun Laoghaire has one or two small rooms fitted out for the enrolment procedure, I wasn't aware that some other SW offices were not able to handle the procedure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭alcaline

As a driver i knew the FTP scheme was broken when a gym opened up close to a route i drive, young healthy men built like Schwarzenegger would get on the bus and use a FTP to go too and from the gym.
    Its going to collapse in a few years under the weight of all the FTP users, who out number paying passengers on a lot of routes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

alcaline wrote: »
    As a driver i knew the FTP scheme was broken when a gym opened up close to a route i drive, young healthy men built like Schwarzenegger would get on the bus and use a FTP to go too and from the gym.
    Its going to collapse in a few years under the weight of all the FTP users, who out number paying passengers on a lot of routes.

You do realise no every illness can be seen from the out side ,or diagnosed by a bus driver

Advertisement