Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inverted 45degree router bit

Options
  • 18-08-2015 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭

Can any one help
    I'm looking for a 45degree chamfer bit the only catch it has to be inverted
    Up side down. Like a pyramid with the shank on top.
    Reason being: I fit a good few stairs ,lads think I'm mad but I like to house the hand rails into the newels both on the flight and the landings takes a bit of time but never a problem with shrinkage or slightly of square/ twisted newls afterwards. It's grand doing the level rails but a bit of a pain under cutting the housings for the flight rails. A suitable bit would do the job rightly but finding them is looking near impossible to source tried a good few of the recommended shops but it's looking like an American import job. If anyone knows where I could source one this side of the Atlantic id be grateful. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Would a dovetail bit work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Thanks.
    Your on the right track there and I honestly tought it'd be as simple as buying a 45degree dovetail bit but the dove tail cutters only go to max 20degree at a push.
    See as 95% of stairs are between a 38-42 a 45 degree cut would give me just the right bit of clearance on a 8 mm deep housing on the newl post for the handrail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Browse www.wealdentool.co.uk If they don't have it nobody does. If you do see it in the US its not a big problem to get it sent over - just avoid the couriers and use USPS.

recipio wrote: »
    Browse www.wealdentool.co.uk If they don't have it nobody does. If you do see it in the US its not a big problem to get it sent over - just avoid the couriers and use USPS.[/quote

Thanks a mill recipio
    They have a bit that will do me grand
    Couldn't find it myself on their page so emailed them with my query and they got back to me with in two hrs with a solution.
    It's a under cutting guided trim cutter I'll order her tomorrow
    Again thanks for your help

Browse www.wealdentool.co.uk If they don't have it nobody does. If you do see it in the US its not a big problem to get it sent over - just avoid the couriers and use USPS.[/quote

Thanks a mill recipio
    They have a bit that will do me grand
    Couldn't find it myself on their page so emailed them with my query and they got back to me with in two hrs with a solution.
    It's a under cutting guided trim cutter I'll order her tomorrow
    Again thanks for your help

Great stuff.
    Alan, the owner of Wealden, is a gentleman and offers a same day dispatch on orders. Use Parcel Motel to Belfast and save yourself a few £.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

That is a handy bit to have, thanks for the links lads. :)

Great stuff.
    Alan, the owner of Wealden, is a gentleman and offers a same day dispatch on orders. Use Parcel Motel to Belfast and save yourself a few £.

Received the bit in the post today all sorted and ready to rock will need to use the bit on Wednesday hopefully it'll save me some labour time
    Great service from Wealdens. Alan was the chap who returned my email
    Very helpfull.
    Thanks again for the link.

You might want to use a straight cutter first to mill out some of the wood. Even trying to use a dovetail bit at its full depth puts a lot of strain on the bit and router. I do this when milling out the dovetail recesses for tripod table legs, otherwise the bit can slow down and cause burning.

You might want to use a straight cutter first to mill out some of the wood. Even trying to use a dovetail bit at its full depth puts a lot of strain on the bit and router. I do this when milling out the dovetail recesses for tripod table legs, otherwise the bit can slow down and cause burning.

Cheers
    What my plan is to house out the post first as normal with the standard 1/2 inch cutter then the under cut bit will be in my second router setup to dept then tidy up with a sharp 1/4 inch chisel.

Advertisement