Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to see Kestrels in leinster ?

Options
  • 18-08-2015 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of a good place to see kestrels during the day to get photos in leinster ?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Kestrels are very widespread, and since they hunt they move around a lot on a daily basis - as opposed to something more sedentary like wildfowl that you could point to a specific field where you stand a very high chance of seeing them.

Essentially - Kestrels are everywhere in Leinster! You won't get anything guaranteed, so stick to North Dublin if thats where you're from. Rogerstown can be a good spot for them, and I'm sure they frequent Bull Island too.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Nightforce 65X55

Thanks for that. I have seen a few but normally along the m1 so they dont present a photo opportunity. I will try rogerstown as said and might get lucky. What i was really looking for was any sightings in say nth co dublin.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Rogerstown is good, and will probably present good photo opportunities for Buzzards too, and Sparrowhawk if you're lucky, as well as all of the waterbirds down there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Wouldn't e giving out exact locations of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I saw a good few in ECNR a few weeks ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Nightforce 65X55

Fair play. Am going up there this weekend. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

If you drive down the East Wall road and pull up somewhere on the long road between the sea and the fence of the Poolbeg ESB towers, the local kestrels regularly patrol that area. There is a long strip of foreshore running parallel to the road,they stop and hover as they work their way along there. They also stop and rest on/still hunt from the light poles, I've taken decent shots of them. They are used to people and will hover pretty close to you.

Always the chance of a peregrine in that neck of the woods too, while you are waiting for the kestrel :-)

Advertisement