Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which certification?

Options
  • 18-08-2015 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭

What kind of certification would be useful for a customer facing IT help desk job. I would be escalating problems to the Technical services team if I couldn't find a solution.

Here are some of the main tasks-

-Ensure that equipment in classrooms pc labs is fully operational.
    - Assist with technology required to support video conferencing.
    -Working knowledge of Microsoft office. PC Mac configuration, applications.
    - Answer enquiries about wifi connection, software downloading and operation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

CompTIA A+ might be a good start, maybe an MCP or two after that depending on how much Windows knowledge required

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Depending on your existing experience, if any, the A+ is the normal starting certification for that kind of role. The Windows [7/8/10 as appropriate] MCP would probably also fit.

You can easily find yourself doing minor active directory work in this kind of role, for which the Windows Server certifications would be what to go for but they may be irrelevant.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I think its time for a sticky post on these kind of questions.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Just dive in an figure it out, best experience is fixing a problem and talking to others about how to fix the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

horgan_p wrote: »
    I think its time for a sticky post on these kind of questions.....

There are already about twenty stickies on certification at the top of the forum. Is another one really going to help?

https://xkcd.com/927/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Last one updated last november....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Sorry for starting another thread but I didn't know what people might say given my actual job description. I looked at the stickies and I'm still not sure what MCP exam would be the best going forward, I'm going to go into the bookshop and have a look through the books. I'm not based in Ireland either so the training centre stickies are no use to me.

Advertisement