Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4.5 year old having poo accidents

Options
  • 18-08-2015 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

well my son is 4.5 and he was fine with his potty training , telling us he needed to do poo etc , for 6 months or so no accidents , but now 4 or 5 times a day

now its not full poo etc more like a tiny bit comming out etc

he's not telling us , he just does it and he's starting big boy school in sept and were worried now that the school won't take him etc , we don't give out or get angry but its annoying now as he's not stupid and sharp as a tac

we also have a 2.5 year old girl , who he gets on great with

he has no concept of when his school is starting so we dont think its about school etc

any suggestions ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Have you ruled out some medical issue or an intolerance causing loose stools? Could it be that he is farting and following through so to speak so he doesn't actually know. Lactose intolerance?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

That sounds like a medical issue. I'd bring him to the GP in the first instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

Could he be constipated ?
    When they are constipated they can leak very liquid stools, which pass the more solid bits.
    When he actually passes a motion is it difficult or painful for him ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

its not a medical issue , he's been to the gp etc

a while ago it was very sore for him to poo ( constipated ) he's not fond on fruit etc , were trying to get him to eat more fruit and more water to help that along

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

a while ago it was very sore for him to poo ( constipated ) he's not fond on fruit etc , were trying to get him to eat more fruit and more water to help that along

Have a look at this:

http://www.solutiontalk.ie/article/irish-times-parenting-qa-dr-john-sharry-how-do-i-get-my-son-relax-about-loo

Maybe that he remembers being sore when he was constipated and is holding off going as long as he can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭forgodssake

Hi op
    I went through this before with my daughter . turned out she was badly constipated and the 'overflow' was leaking. she didn't even know!she had done it. I got some lactulose sorted it out almost immediately. also discovered that she had those pinworms . mightn be any harm to have a look at his poo when he goes(on the potty) . hope this clears up for your little man soon. x

Advertisement