Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd bird I saw the other day... identify?

Options
  • 18-08-2015 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭

Sorry no pics, but I was too busy making friends with the rascal to take one, lol...

I was sitting in my car at the Mace on the N4 at Collooney with my window down, eating a scone, when I was spotted by a black bird that looked exactly like a crow with a slender down-curving black beak. It perched on my rear-view mirror and looked at me first with one black eye and then the other. I laughed and held out a bit of scone, and the bird took it delicately from between my fingers and looked at me again like a cat asking for another treat, so I gave it another bit of scone and watched it eat it between its beak and claw.

I came home and looked at all the Irish bird sites I could find. It wasn't a starling; it had no spots. It wasn't a crow or raven; the beak was too thin. It very closely resembled a chough, but the feet and eyes weren't red. Is there such a thing as a melanistic chough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I've never heard of a melanistic Chough but I think almost every species throws up the trait from time to time. Anyway, sounds more like an escaped cage bird such as a Myna - you wouldn't get near a Chough.

Advertisement