Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiring a good childminder/nannie

Options
  • 18-08-2015 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi All,

We are a couple with five children currently looking for a childminder/nannie to look after our children in our own home five days a week.

We are offering very competitive rates/conditions and expect a large number of applicants.

As our children are very dear to us we will pay for and expect the best care both physically and in terms of example/environment.

Thus, is it legal to advertise/make clear to applicants that we are not interested in the services of unmarried/single mothers unless widowed etc? If not any ideas on how to suss them out before proceeding too far in the process?

Thanks,
    Inkjet2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Are you asking if its ok to put 'no single parents need apply for this job' on your ad? Are you worried your children might think that being a single parent is perfectly acceptable?

What an odd post.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 colourinkjet2

lazygal wrote: »
    Are you asking if its ok to put 'no single parents need apply for this job' on your ad? Are you worried your children might think that being a single parent is perfectly acceptable?

Yes and yes.

Yes and yes.
    That's illegal. You can't discriminate against someone because of their marital status. Also, you can't protect your children from external influences if someone else is going to mind them, no matter how selective you are.

That's illegal. You can't discriminate against someone because of their marital status.

I was afraid of that. Any tips on how to go about it without wasting too much time interviewing people we aren't going to hire?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

An ad in Nuns Weekly?

• Advertisement

I was afraid of that. Any tips on how to go about it without wasting too much time interviewing people we aren't going to hire?

Check for wedding pictures on Facebook? Mind your children yourself?

Seriously, I cannot believe someone would ask how they go about discriminating against single parents in the hiring process and expect to be taken seriously.

An ad in Nuns Weekly?

Or Alive!?

Check for wedding pictures on Facebook? Mind your children yourself?

Seriously, I cannot believe someone would ask how they go about discriminating against single parents in the hiring process and expect to be taken seriously.

I don't understand. We just want the best for our little ones and are prepared to pay for it...?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

Is this a joke??

I don't understand. We just want the best for our little ones and are prepared to pay for it...?

Well, if you want the best and that involves discriminating against single parents, you'll need to know that's illegal. I'm sure wanting the best for them also involves not having them see you break the law.
    Every parent wants the best for their little ones. Including single parents who may work as childminders.

• Advertisement

sullivk wrote: »
    Is this a joke??

I really hope so.

Well, if you want the best and that involves discriminating against single parents, you'll need to know that's illegal. I'm sure wanting the best for them also involves not having them see you break the law.
    /QUOTE]

I'm not worried about them seeing me break a silly law.
    Every parent wants the best for their little ones. Including single parents who may work as childminders.

I'm sure they do but I have to look out for my own children first.

I'm not worried about them seeing me break a silly law.

I'm sure they do but I have to look out for my own children first.
    What do you mean by looking out for them? You want them to think discrimination is ok? And equality isn't a 'silly law'. I'd probably suggest minding them yourself if you're so controlling as to want to only have people of a particular marital status minding your children. I see widows are good enough, why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Given that you are willing to disregard laws that don't suit you does that mean you also will disregard employment law when it comes to minimum wage, holiday entitlements, working hours, employer's PRSI etc?

Actually I don't know why I'm wasting my time..

tobsey wrote: »
    Given that you are willing to disregard laws that don't suit you does that mean you also will disregard employment law when it comes to minimum wage, holiday entitlements, working hours, employer's PRSI etc?

Actually I don't know why I'm wasting my time..

Actually no... We are offering 600 pw + usual benifits and employer's psri etc as they will be in our own home.

Actually no... We are offering 600 pw + usual benifits and employer's psri etc as they will be in our own home.
    What hours will be involved? What ages are the children? €600 for a five day week minding five children isn't amazing money. Especially for someone who will have to ensure they aren't a single parent, unless they're widowed. Will you be asking for weekly pregnancy tests to ensure the lucky person selected won't be a single parent? Will they have to sign a morality clause?

What hours will be involved? What ages are the children? €600 for a five day week minding five children isn't amazing money. Especially for someone who will have to ensure they aren't a single parent, unless they're widowed. Will you be asking for weekly pregnancy tests to ensure the lucky person selected won't be a single parent? Will they have to sign a morality clause?

35 hours pw just minding the children.

Look lazygal I'm sorry if you are upset but we just want the best for our little ones.

35 hours pw just minding the children.

Look lazygal I'm sorry if you are upset but we just want the best for our little ones.

Oh I'm not upset. I'm baffled at the thought process that makes a parent of five children ask on a public forum how they go about discriminating against a potential employee, and repeating that said parent wants the best for their little ones somehow makes it all ok.

All parents want the best for their little ones. There is no nice way to go about discriminating against people based on their marital status, even if you want to keep such people away from your children because you think that's the best thing for them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I am closing this thread.
    It is offensive on so many levels.

If you are employing a nanny in your own home then you are subject to employment law.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement