Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recruitment agency woes

Options
  • 17-08-2015 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Alright guys... Long story short. I picked up a few hours with a recruitment agency. We signed our contract at 16.45€ per hour "all in"! (Inclusive of prsi and holiday) as the contract stated! Only problem is, the prsi "inclusive" is the employers prsi, so now do we not only pay our prsi, Paye and usc, this contract means we pay the employers prsi and pay into our holidays also!
    As this was very unclear upon signing the contract, is there a leg we can stand on legally to protest it!?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Alright guys... Long story short. I picked up a few hours with a recruitment agency. We signed our contract at 16.45€ per hour "all in"! (Inclusive of prsi and holiday) as the contract stated! Only problem is, the prsi "inclusive" is the employers prsi, so now do we not only pay our prsi, Paye and usc, this contract means we pay the employers prsi and pay into our holidays also!
    As this was very unclear upon signing the contract, is there a leg we can stand on legally to protest it!?

Difficult one to be honest. Did you understand you were a self employed contractor when you signed the contract?

And if not, why didn't you ask what inclusive of prsi and holidays meant?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭murraychrisg

Stheno wrote:
    Difficult one to be honest. Did you understand you were a self employed contractor when you signed the contract?

And if not, why didn't you ask what inclusive of prsi and holidays meant?
    No I didn't understand that I was no!!! And when I asked what all in meant, they told me it was prsi and holidays. I assumed it was my prsi!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No I didn't understand that I was no!!! And when I asked what all in meant, they told me it was prsi and holidays. I assumed it was my prsi!!!

Are you still working for them now?

Stheno wrote:
    Are you still working for them now?
    Yeah... I'm applying else where but it's the only work I can get at the moment!

Yeah... I'm applying else where but it's the only work I can get at the moment!

I would imagine there is not much you can do given you signed the contract tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

Sounds potentially dodgy to me, why not give NERA a call and ask them?

https://www.workplacerelations.ie/en/Workplace_Relations_Bodies/National_Employment_Rights_Authority/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,752 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's unusual for the agency to tell you what rate the employer is paying.

Typically they just tell you the rate that you will get, and hide the rest from you.

What do they have you doing? What rate would you get for similar work elsewhere?

Yeah I know, but the offered us the rate of 16.35€, all in! But assume they have to, so they can get us to agree to pay their prsi!? Am I right? It's plumbing work.

So in the end we make around 11 euro an hour for an hours plumbing, which is nearly half of the plumber rate in Ireland.

Advertisement