Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

havnt been to the dentist in 5 years

Options
  • 17-08-2015 10:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

nearly too embarrassed to go at this stage. I know I need a good few fillings and that's grand don't mind getting them but im afraid of them saying I need something bigger such as a tooth being removed or something more expensive. if I was told a tooth needed to be removed but I ignored/refused what would happen the tooth/what problem would it cause?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

If you were told you needed a tooth removed, why would you refuse??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

[quote="GERMAN ROCKS;96652810" if I was told a tooth needed to be removed but I ignored/refused what would happen the tooth/what problem would it cause?[/quote]
    Toothache, pain, swelling, abscess, cellulitis, Ludwigs angina....increased risk of surgical extraction as opposed to basic extraction....decreased efficacy of local anaesthetic in the affected region....
    It's a gamble.
    But it's your body& your choice, you can be advised, but you certainly won't be forced into any treatment you don't want.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

Dianthus wrote: »
    Toothache, pain, swelling, abscess, cellulitis, Ludwigs angina....increased risk of surgical extraction as opposed to basic extraction....decreased efficacy of local anaesthetic in the affected region....
    It's a gamble.
    But it's your body& your choice, you can be advised, but you certainly won't be forced into any treatment you don't want.

Thanks. was just wondering what would be the worst that could happen if one left the bad tooth in. just don't like the thought of missing a tooth

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭mapaca

Do you have any pain or sensitive teeth right now? Have you been taking care of them? Go and have a check up. It won't be as bad as you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Thanks. was just wondering what would be the worst that could happen if one left the bad tooth in. just don't like the thought of missing a tooth

Death would probably be the worst outcome....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Death would probably be the worst outcome....

Dramatic.....:eek:
    No OP you wont die, but there is a risk of an abcess that can cause terrible pain, swelling. Time off work, spoiled holidays etc. A large spreading infection is a possibility but a unlikely one in the modern world. The longer a bad tooth is left the more damage will be done to the bone, gums and surround teeth leading to difficult replacing it in the future.

Advertisement