Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help.

Options
  • 17-08-2015 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Can anyone help me with this I am gonna be trying to a plc in games and apps development in CIFE the diploma is Software Development, I want to know can I get into NUIM for Computer Science & Software Engineering - Science Entry. It says it has a FETAC entry but I honestly dont understand it like how it works. If anyone could help me out asap would be very helpful as the plc interview is next week and really want to go to NUIM next year. If not can I get into UCD for computer science it also has a fetac entry. Thanks very much.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

These are the FETAC awards they accept for that course. Remember you need the full award and probaably distinctions.

FETAC Level 5

Old Course Code New Course Code
    EMMPX 5M2146
    CELTX -
    CITXX -

FETAC Level 6

Old Course Code New Course Code
    CNSSX 6M5164

Applicants must obtain a minimum of 5 distinctions.

Applicants who do not have Mathematics at Leaving Certificate Level with a minimum of Grade OB3/HD3 must obtain a distinction in one of the following:
    Old Module Code New Module Code
    C20139 5N1833
    C20174 5N1833
    C20175 5N1833

Number of places available to FETAC applicants

Course Level 5 Level 6
    MH140 3 3
    MH203 3 3

Formatting went a bit wonky. From : https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/study-maynooth/undergraduate-studies/how-apply/fetachetacbtec-applicants/fetac-recognised-courses

I couldn't find the course you mentioned on the CIFE site to check the code of the award it leads to.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭J98

spurious wrote: »

I couldn't find the course you mentioned on the CIFE site to check the code of the award it leads to.

Thanks very much yeah the course code for both courses is "5M0529" I suppose that must be as the diploma is in Software Development. I know someone who done the same course and ended up in UCD for computer science this year but it doesnt have that code on there website. The FETAC entry is fairly confusing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The UCD Computer Science page on FETAC entry doesn't specify a particular FETAC award, just a number of FETAC points required, so it's possible you could get in with any FETAC award - which seems a bit mad. Surely a FETAC in a related area would be more useful? Perhaps I am reading it wrong.

Yeah I saw that too. It doesn't allow me to post a link on this but on the cao you can enter the course code (DN201) for FETAC entry if you look up on google "cao fetac search" It says essential major awards when you put in that course code but actually dont get it really as it said no specify course just the points needed in fetac on UCDs website.

From those points, you don't need the full 8 distinctions ( you need 367 instead of 400) but there are only ten places, so it's probably best go for the full distinctions. You could ask the people at the PLC interview do they think it would be a good basis to access UCD Comp. Sc. with.

• Advertisement

I'll definitely do that in the interview, thanks very much for your help.

Advertisement