Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how many ounces?

Options
  • 17-08-2015 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

I breastfed up to 4 months and for the past month have been bottlefeeding my daughter.
    So obviously when you add 7 scoops of powder to 7 ounces of water the vol goes up.
    In the avent bottles it goes up to 8. So am I feeding her 7 ounces or 8?
    Today I started 8ounce water and 8 scoops and it went up to 9.
    I'm thinking now that she's been taking more formula than I originally thought.
    Can anyone shed some light?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

This is a question i've asked so many times! We give 8 oz bottles(8 oz of water in them) I asked the phn and the practice nurse, what do I call those bottles then? and both said it's still an 8 oz so thats what I go with now!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭sm213

ainy wrote: »
    This is a question i've asked so many times! We give 8 oz bottles(8 oz of water in them) I asked the phn and the practice nurse, what do I call those bottles then? and both said it's still an 8 oz so thats what I go with now!

It just seems strange to say she had 7 ounces when its clear 8 went in.
    But I am that annoying person that needs to know why 1+1=2 and not just accept its just the way it is.
    Oh well if it's what's accepted by phns I shall stick to that.

I was the same went through a big theory that it's the water and formula that makes the volume so surely it must be the final volume when they are in there together but it seems that the professionals just go by the initial amount of oz's so its easier to just go with that!! its confusing tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

But you're not giving 9oz's you're giving 8oz's just that the volume of the water and powder expands it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

You're putting in 7oz of formula so you're giving 7oz worth of nutrients if you want to think of it that way. The displacement volume of the powder means the final volume of liquid is higher but there's still only 7oz of formula in there. I do find myself getting muddled up when my daughter doesn't drink the full amount though

• Advertisement

ah angeldelight thats the best way to think of it. I was always thinking in relation to volume rather than nutrition. when you put it like that, it makes perfect sense ad to why it would still be seen as 7 oz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You're putting in nowhere near 7oz of formula before someone tries to do it! That's 200g, almost 1/4 of a tin. :)

My goodness it would be overflowing! It's fluid oz of water being measured. Just follow the instructions on the pack. In metric units for ease all round.

1 scoop to 30ml of water (it's on the pack).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

sm213 wrote:
    Thanks :-) It just seems strange to say she had 7 ounces when its clear 8 went in. But I am that annoying person that needs to know why 1+1=2 and not just accept its just the way it is. Oh well if it's what's accepted by phns I shall stick to that.

This made me laugh, I'm exactly the same and have asked this question at home for years!
    I kinda assumed the number of scoops was the ounces she was getting.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭sm213

cbyrd wrote: »
    This made me laugh, I'm exactly the same and have asked this question at home for years!
    I kinda assumed the number of scoops was the ounces she was getting.. ;)

Ok so if you use the ready made cartons do you put in 7 ozs or 8? If you know the bottle goes up to 8 even though it's 7. Whats the solution?
    Sorry but this just added to my problem :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

As its ready made I'd go with the 8ozs into the bottle, and 8ozs of water with 8 scoops if you're making it yourself..

That's if you want an 8 oz bottle.!!
    If you want 7 ozs put 7 ozs from the ready made. Or 7 scoops into 7 ozs of water.

• Advertisement
Advertisement