Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualifying for independent SUSI grant category

Options
  • 17-08-2015 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm planning to attend Mechanical Engineering BEng (Honours) next year - 2016/2017. I'm trying to figure out how to fund it.

When I moved to Ireland I moved in to my dad's place, but moved out soon after. I've been working full time since December 2014 and renting rooms since January 2015. I've been living completely on my own this year, but I do not have a lease to back up my claim, only documents from Revenue and RSA.

This could easily be solved by renting a studio apartment before end of October 2015, so I would have a lease and bills as a proof. However I would have to pay twice what I am paying now, half of my monthly salary. I want to avoid that.

Is it possible to qualify in the independent category while renting just a room? If so, what documents would be sufficient to prove my claim?

EDIT: I've been reading more post about SUSI grants and so far I am horrified. Do they really ask for bills for 3 years of renting, even though it is not mentioned in the independent category?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Fafnir wrote: »
    I'm planning to attend Mechanical Engineering BEng (Honours) next year - 2016/2017. I'm trying to figure out how to fund it.

When I moved to Ireland I moved in to my dad's place, but moved out soon after. I've been working full time since December 2014 and renting rooms since January 2015. I've been living completely on my own this year, but I do not have a lease to back up my claim, only documents from Revenue and RSA.

This could easily be solved by renting a studio apartment before end of October 2015, so I would have a lease and bills as a proof. However I would have to pay twice what I am paying now, half of my monthly salary. I want to avoid that.

Is it possible to qualify in the independent category while renting just a room? If so, what documents would be sufficient to prove my claim?

If you are renting a room and it is registered as a participant of the Rent a Room Scheme, this is acceptable proof of independent residence.
    EDIT: I've been reading more post about SUSI grants and so far I am horrified. Do they really ask for bills for 3 years of renting, even though it is not mentioned in the independent category?

They can ask for bills as far back to your original point of entry as an independent student.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Fafnir

Sup08 wrote: »
    If you a renting a room and it is registered as a participant of the Rent a Room Scheme, this is acceptable proof of independent residence.

In this case, what documents would be sufficient to back up my claim?

In this case, what documents would be sufficient to back up my claim?

The registration from your landlord on the rent a room scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Fafnir

I may not be able to get a proof for the time I want to study.

To get a grant for 2016/2017 I would need to get a proof before end of October 2015 and that is not likely. My current landlord is not registered and I can't rent something else due to financial problems.

I guess I will be classified as a dependant mature student. It may not be too bad, but I heard that I will be unable to change this classification to independent unless I take a three year long break in studying. Is it true?

I heard that I will be unable to change this classification to independent unless I take a three year long break in studying. Is it true?

Yes. No matter how long you stay in education, you will remain a dependent regardless of your marital status or where you live.

• Advertisement
Advertisement