Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android M - Marshmallow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Looking forward to it as it should mean new Nexûs hardware and a new phone for me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 I should coco!

Looking forward to this and the new Nexus 5. Didn't see anything that would've turned me back to Android in the last year so I'm all ears...and eyes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭thomasj

So anyone looking forward to any features coming out of marshmallow?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

thomasj wrote: »

A few less random power-downs would do nicely for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Must be a rogue app you have installed. I've never had a 'random power-down' on Lollipop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭henke

thomasj wrote: »

Looking forward to seeing this new native fingerprint scanner. It will be on the rear of the new Nexus 5 going by the leaks. Hope it works well.

I'm liking that you can hide status bar icons too. eg can have my Bluetooth on without looking at the logo on my phone all the time. Won't bother a lot of people but I like the status bar not having too much in it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mr E wrote: »
    Must be a rogue app you have installed. I've never had a 'random power-down' on Lollipop.

The N6 I'm using had consistent random shut downs up until I installed M preview 2, then it seemed to stop.
    The 5.1.1 update did nothing to help.
    Apparently it was a memory leak, and from the standard installed app suite as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Think I'll be going for a new handset around xmas now to get 6.0, chances of getting a dev to make a ROM for the Find7 is low enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I'm not even sure if it's something that's being considered, but I'd like android to be able to tell you whether the wifi network you just connected to, or the cellular network you were on, is faster!

With fast 4g these days, sometimes that public wifi or neighbours/friends wifi you connected to, might actually be slower or capped in a way that your 4g was actually quicker.

If android could tell the difference, and ignore the slower option natively, that'd be pretty sweet! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Android assumes wifi has no usage limits and HSDPA/LTE have data caps as 90% of the time that'll be the case. As such, itll only avoid really **** wifi. Its very little user interaction to pull down the tray and disable wifi if needed.

Samsung and apple both have a form of "wifi sense" where they avoid slower networks, but its not part of base android.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭thomasj

Heroditas wrote:
    A few less random power-downs would do nicely for starters.

I wouldn't mind a few less power-drains either!

Sure ED E, I know we all have different circumstances when it comes to data, and so the option should be user configurable, but I don't have a data cap on three and the 4g is relatively quick.

Does the samsung option actually detect speed or is it done on network quality, I wonder?

Android assuming that wifi is better than 3g/4g just really isn't the case anymore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

marcbrophy wrote: »

Android assuming that wifi is better than 3g/4g just really isn't the case anymore :)

Agreed.

However, as people consume more and more data i.e. 4G etc then networks want to offload to WiFi where possible to reduce network congestion. Also, WiFi uses less power than Mobile Network.

laoisfan wrote: »
    Agreed.

However, as people consume more and more data i.e. 4G etc then networks want to offload to WiFi where possible to reduce network congestion. Also, WiFi uses less power than Mobile Network.

All true and I'm sure the clever devs at android know what's best for their OS.
    Just a feature that I thought up when I read thomasj's post :)

Is 6.0 expected to make big cosmetic changes, or is it all under the hood stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

marcbrophy wrote: »
    All true and I'm sure the clever devs at android know what's best for their OS.
    Just a feature that I thought up when I read thomasj's post :)

Is 6.0 expected to make big cosmetic changes, or is it all under the hood stuff?

The permission system is all rewrote, so that is a huge change.
    Lots of new APIs, fingerprint scanner is probably the one that will get most attention. Some new beacon APIs, should make for some interesting location aware features.

jester77 wrote: »
    The permission system is all rewrote, so that is a huge change.
    Lots of new APIs, fingerprint scanner is probably the one that will get most attention. Some new beacon APIs, should make for some interesting location aware features.

Ah yes, I'm starting to remember some of the stuff announced at I/O now.

The contextual google now stuff looked pretty cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭spuddy01

Advertisement