Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replacement Key Fob and reprogramming

Options
  • 17-08-2015 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

I bought an aftermarket key on ebay to get programed as a replacement. Its stats match my own main key:

Part No: 5KO 837 202
    FREQ: 434MHz

A locksmith has just told me that the keys are not compatible, however I think they are just trying to get me to spend 250 euro on their service.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Google it.

http://www.autokeysquad.com/advice/volkswagen-vw-remote-fob-programming-save

Ive not had to try it myself, but there's usually guides out there to program your own spare key.

Failing that, someone with VCDS should be able to help:
    http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/vw-remote-matching.html

That all said, if your ebay key isnt the right one your guess is as good as mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

or maybe the locksmith doesnt want to deal with a spurious key that he cant stand over. If there is a problem with the key you be looking to him to fix it even if the problem is not of his making.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

^^^^ This.

Locksmiths generally will, quite rightly, piss and moan about "ebay" or "Chinese" keys. In short, it's more hassle to them than it's worth.

With any modern key, there are three things to consider:

a) the cut of the blade - generally easier to get the supplier of the blank to cut it to code or photo.

b) the transponder - either a clone of your existing key or if the locksmith/dealer has the software, registration of a new transponder number to the ECU/Immobiliser

c) the remote/plipper. If the remote is the correct type/frequency, then it should be just a case of Googling and following the instructions for the make/model in question and pairing the new one to the car ECU/Immobiliser.

C is easy. B is okay if you are just re-using the existing one/taping it to the lock. A is the pain in the hole.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 doney21

Thanks all for the tips. I've sent the key back to the Ebay seller for a refund. He was selling key fobs that my locksmith says cannot be re-programmed.
    Garages are charging 250-300 euro for a replacement key but I found a locksmith in Newry who can do it for 130 Stg.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

doney21 wrote: »
    Thanks all for the tips. I've sent the key back to the Ebay seller for a refund. He was selling key fobs that my locksmith says cannot be re-programmed.
    Garages are charging 250-300 euro for a replacement key but I found a locksmith in Newry who can do it for 130 Stg.

i got one done the week before last on the naas road for €180 which is close to £130 given the exchange rate. might save you a trip up north.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement