Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap upgrade

Options
  • 17-08-2015 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

1. What is your budget? €200

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Netflix, light gaming, some Android Development (I have a dev laptop, not essential)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] Will use case, SSD, PSU, cpu cooler, DVD drive, graphics card from old machine

5. Do you need a monitor? No

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? (Mouse, keyboard, WiFi card, etc...) No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes

8. How can you pay? paypal, bank transfer

9. When are you purchasing? Next month or so

10. If you need help building it, where are you based?
    Can self build

From geizhals, MindFactory is one of the cheaper options. Are they any good?
    Mobo
    CPU
    Ram
    Sound Card
    I know people argue against soundcards, but I have noticed a cleaner puncher sound with one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Only thing I'd suggest is putting in an i3 4160 or similar instead of the pentium. That chip is only really getting you places if you overclock it and even then it can be a rough road to head down from what I've read here.

Can't seem to check the links here at work, internet is being screwy. The RAM looks to be 1333mhz, should be grand but you have the option to go with 1600mhz ram. Slight bump if you go with the i3 in the end.

Mobo and soundcard are grand. You could cut the soundcard out for a few weeks and save back up towards it later since it is a non essential component.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

Yes picked a 1333Mhz ram because that is the max the cpu supports. Apparently its possible to have a stable overclock @ 4.8Ghz with that processor.

The i3 is €114 vs €65.
    1600mhz ram is about €3 more.

It is indeed, but then you need a good cooler to reach that level of overclock. So about €25 for a budget decent one which brings it a good bit closer to the i3 in terms of price. The Cooler that got it to 4.7ghz stable in a review I read used a Noctua NH-D14: http://www.amazon.co.uk/NH-D14-Processor-LGA1366-LGA1156-LGA1155/dp/B002VKVZ1A

That's about 100euro worth of cooler.
    There is also the problem that the H97 board doesn't really support overclocking, you'll need a Z97 board for that.

You'll save yourself a lot of hassle by simply ignoring overclocking. :)

Ah ok, so my €25 cooler master wont cut it. An i3 is looks like the sensible option.

Another reference:
    http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387345-pentium-g3258-vs-i3-4170-budget-gaming/

Google "i3 4170/4160 vs g3258" to find more.

The hyperthreading found in the i3 apparently really helps, and should even more now with windows 10.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It won't make any difference in daily use, but it will make a big difference in CPU intensive games like GTA V, Battlefield 4, etc. Average framerates between the i3 and G3258 will be broadly similar, but minimum framerates will be dreadful on the Pentium and solid on the i3. No amount of overclocking can overcome the limitations of the G3258. If you were only playing older or less intensive games, or more indie titles, it really won't make any difference. I OC'd my G3258 with a €30 212 and it was grand at 4.4Ghz.

What mobo did you use TerrorFirmer? Since it would be nice to do some Android Development on it which can be resource intensive, the i3 seems like a better idea. For games, my current PC runs my games at full spec.

Advertisement