Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importation of Knives

• 17-08-2015 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Just wondering if I can import a knife from a English or American knife site, as the Irish sites have very little to chose from

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Yes you can as long as the knife is not a flick or automatic knife and the blade is under 5 inches ( think i am right on the 5 inches ) have ordered both kits and built knifes, what type of knife are you looking to import

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

A couple of things to be aware of are:

1. Importation, sale, hire, displaying, lending etc of offensive weapons which is prohibited by s.12 of the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act 1990.

Link
    Offensive weapons include flick-knives, knuckledusters, swordsticks, sword umbrellas, hand and foot claws, belt buckle knives, pushdaggers, hollow kubotans, shurikens, butterfly knives, telescopic truncheons, blowpipes, kusari gama, kyoketsu shoge, manrikigusari, sap gloves, and machetes.

Katanas or 'samurai swords' were added with effect from 1 September 2009, though there are exceptions to the ban designed for collectors and martial artists. You can read the full text of the 1991 Order on offensive weapons here. and the 2009 amendment to it here.

2. Possession of knives and other articles in a public place, per s.9 of the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act 1990.

Blade length is not mentioned in the legislation but I understand that it may be mentioned in UK legislation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Pat has answered all your questions do you use knifes or collect them, if the knife is to be used for the likes of fishing camping bushcraft theirs a lot to think about. The steel used the grind on the blade the blade style i could go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Looking at the Irish Statute info posted by Pat there is clearly no mention of blade length, that Im used to being from the UK. I have a Leatherman which I have on me most of the time as it could come in handy. Its rare that I need it, but whenever I do not have it with me it seems like I always find a use where I wish I did have it.

If I'm not on a specific recreational activity or Im not working in a capacity which would require a Leatherman normally, would it be illegal to carry one? This is really surprise news for me and I wonder what would have happened if challenged by a Gardai as to my reasons for being in possession of it and I had replied "Oh I just carry that in case I need it."

9.—(1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3), where a person has with him in any public place any knife or any other article which has a blade or which is sharply pointed, he shall be guilty of an offence.

(2) It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1) to prove that he had good reason or lawful authority for having the article with him in a public place.

(3) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (2), it shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1) to prove that he had the article with him for use at work or for a recreational purpose.

Possession of a knife in a public place is an offence.

You will see the defence of use for work or recreational purpose.

The "I just carry it in case I need it" excuse could land you in court to offer your explanations to a judge. I wouldn't risk that excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Possession of a knife in a public place is an offence.

You will see the defence of use for work or recreational purpose.

The "I just carry it in case I need it" excuse could land you in court to offer your explanations in court. I wouldn't risk that excuse.

What if the Leatherman was stored in the cubby box in my L:and Rover all the time. If I was pulled over at a checkpoint or something, would I be in trouble then?

What if the Leatherman was stored in the cubby box in my L:and Rover all the time. If I was pulled over at a checkpoint or something, would I be in trouble then?

Assuming that you were in a public place with the Leatherman in the car, then you'd be in a public place with a knife, which is what is prohibited by s.9.

Advertisement