Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Sick Day

Options
  • 16-08-2015 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I will keep this short as I haven't the energy to type.

I started a new job five weeks ago. I am on a 12 month contract, of which the first six months are probation. I am hoping it will become permanent after the 12 months.

During those five weeks, I have been one of the first people in every day. I have no problem staying late either. I haven't missed a day.

I suffer from depression which none of my colleagues would know about, obviously. It's not something you tell people. Also, I am not sure if my employer knows (I did declare it in the Heath screening document before I started though, and I am not sure if this is for HR's eyes only).

Anyway my problem. I am having a particularly down day. I haven't been this down in a long time. I cannot stop crying. My eyes are so sore. I feel like the world is crashing down around me and I just want to curl up in bed tomorrow and have a bit of me time, and then go in fresh on Tuesday.

As I said, this hasn't happened to me in a very long time. I am terrified of calling in sick, even though I am not one to ever take a sick day, maybe once or twice a year.

And advice on what I should do? And if I do call in sick, what can I possibly say?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Junglewoman

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    Hi all

I will keep this short as I haven't the energy to type.

I started a new job five weeks ago. I am on a 12 month contract, of which the first six months are probation. I am hoping it will become permanent after the 12 months.

During those five weeks, I have been one of the first people in every day. I have no problem staying late either. I haven't missed a day.

I suffer from depression which none of my colleagues would know about, obviously. It's not something you tell people. Also, I am not sure if my employer knows (I did declare it in the Heath screening document before I started though, and I am not sure if this is for HR's eyes only).

Anyway my problem. I am having a particularly down day. I haven't been this down in a long time. I cannot stop crying. My eyes are so sore. I feel like the world is crashing down around me and I just want to curl up in bed tomorrow and have a bit of me time, and then go in fresh on Tuesday.

As I said, this hasn't happened to me in a very long time. I am terrified of calling in sick, even though I am not one to ever take a sick day, maybe once or twice a year.

And advice on what I should do? And if I do call in sick, what can I possibly say?

Can you go in and then go home a short while later saying you don't feel well? I've been in this position, it is very hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Can you go in and then go home a short while later saying you don't feel well? I've been in this position, it is very hard.

My eyes are like golf balls right now. I am so down I cannot fathom how I will get through the day tomorrow without bursting into tears - and for no reason. I can't explain the feeling, it probably sounds mad to some people.

I do get on very well with my employer and I know they are very happy to have me on board. I was called in recently to say they are very impressed with my progress so far.

I would not like them to start treating me badly thought because I take one day off. And as I said - this is very rare.

What do you think? I'm freaking out in bed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

I moved this thread to another forum so a mod can delete this one if they wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Fluorosilisic Frank

I wouldn't for a minute claim to have any understanding about what you are feeling, but if you're doing a good job, you've a good relationship with the boss/management, then in a weeks time they probably won't even remember that you took a day.

If you're sick, you're sick....doesn't matter if it's a cold or a severe down day. Most important thing is to take care of yourself first and foremost.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Selandia

As the above poster said, if you're sick you're sick, and you shouldn't feel guilty about taking a day off. If however you'd rather not give them the real reason, why not say you've been vomiting all night and you feel a bit better but need to make sure you're fully better by tomorrow and not pass it to anyone else. This is perfectly acceptable and they wouldn't want you in work with an infectious tummy bug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,508 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Think of yourself first.
    Ring in and say your taking a sick day for a personal problem and will speak further to your manager on return.

Make a few calls and see can you get to speak to a counciler today in short notice, it's usually possible with some of the support groups out there. Even give the samarathans a call to chat with someone.
    Talking always, always helps, speak to someone today !!

When your back into work explain what happened to your manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,752 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Go to your doctor for advice - they should have a management strategy in place for you for handling days like this.

Because you declared the problem on your initial health screening, it should not be a problem for your employer: it's simply a disability which they have to make reasonable accommodation for.

And you have no need to explain any sickness (physical or mental) to your colleagues: just tell them you were sick, and change the subject.

Advertisement