Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Susi grant appeal boards

Options
  • 16-08-2015 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,
    Looking for some advice for the appeals board.

I am a mature student who has been receiving susi for the last 3 years. I have been currently living outside of my family home for over 2 years and because my entry was on my parents income . The application stays on dependent mature student as it only takes the first point of entry even though I have left home and paying everything myself.

My parents income changed which means I don't get the grant. I was wondering does anyone have advice for me in the appeal board stage.

It is my last year in college and I really want to finish. Without the grant I can't and have to take a year out to save and ruin my back to education allowance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

I would politely point out to them that since they have used a change of circumstances (your folks' income) to re-assess you, it should be only fair that they would also consider your own change in circumstances of moving out. Of course, in my own experience, the words 'SUSI' and 'fair' don't tend to go hand in hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Umphie

phonypony wrote: »
    thanks I will try that hopefully that will work thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Umphie wrote: »
    Hi,
    Looking for some advice for the appeals board.

I am a mature student who has been receiving susi for the last 3 years. I have been currently living outside of my family home for over 2 years and because my entry was on my parents income . The application stays on dependent mature student as it only takes the first point of entry even though I have left home and paying everything myself.

My parents income changed which means I don't get the grant. I was wondering does anyone have advice for me in the appeal board stage.

It is my last year in college and I really want to finish. Without the grant I can't and have to take a year out to save and ruin my back to education allowance.

Your class at your point of entry (Dependent Student) does not change until you have had a break of 3 years or more from your studies no matter what your current residential or personal status once you have entered higher education from Undergraduate, right through to post-graduate studies.

For instance, even if you lived away from home, got married and had children but still you did not obtain a 3 year break from your studies, you would still be classed as dependent upon your parents.

Advertisement