Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is irish government marginalising protestant in the irish state

Options
  • 16-08-2015 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

By not reconising us as a minority group and treating as such. Other minority religions are been accompanied by haveing schools been built for them while ours are been forced to close.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Back in the old days yes.

But not now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I live in Wicklow Town.
    Population 10,000.

2 x protestant schools, both going strong.

No sign of any government organised hate campaign here.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod Note:

OP, ill give you a chance to flesh out your point with clear analysis and links, statistics etc. But simply asserting that there is discrimination without backing it up is below the standards of the forum. If you dont provide something more substantial ill be locking this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

stew spark wrote: »
    By not reconising us as a minority group and treating as such. Other minority religions are been accompanied by haveing schools been built for them while ours are been forced to close.
    Can you state which minority religions and which schools? It's just that the Dept's list of major building projects since 2012 and planned projects are viewable online and I don't see any that stand out as being for other minority religions.
    https://www.education.ie/en/Schools-Colleges/Services/Building-Works/Major-Projects/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

stew spark wrote: »

I am assuming this is down to the number of Muslim schools or Educated together schools, or maybe the gealscoileanna appearing?

Is this the traditional protestant (Church of Ireland) or the growing number of born again christian religions?

I doubt that a Fine Gael government would be inclinded to diminish protestant culture. The minister for Culture is Presbyterian as far as I know, though she might be Church of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

There should be no public schools with any religious affiliation. Tax payers come from all faiths or lack thereof. If you want schools of "protestant ethos", you can always send your children to a private school. This should be the case for any religion. Schools are here to educate our children, not to indoctrinate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 IsosKramer

Elmo wrote: »
    I am assuming this is down to the number of Muslim schools or Educated together schools, or maybe the gealscoileanna appearing?

Is this the traditional protestant (Church of Ireland) or the growing number of born again christian religions?

I doubt that a Fine Gael government would be inclinded to diminish protestant culture. The minister for Culture is Presbyterian as far as I know, though she might be Church of Ireland.

She is indeed a Presbyterian but, more relevant to this thread, the Minister for Education is a member of the Church of Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

IsosKramer wrote: »
    She is indeed a Presbyterian but, more relevant to this thread, the Minister for Education is a member of the Church of Ireland!

Women protestant politicians what next a protestant president?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod Note:

Ok, this thread is going nowhere fast. If someone wants to start a proper thread about religion and schools, in whatever form that takes, feel free.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement