Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stash, borrow or sell?

Options
  • 16-08-2015 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭

I've recently become very time-poor (I'm having to travel every weekend for the foreseeable future) and as a result the Triumph GT6 is not getting the love it needs.

Any thoughts - should I:
    * Stash it in storage for probably the next 3 years
    * Borrow money to get it professionally restored by an expert
    * Sell it on to someone with more time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

not easy,
    at first thought, second option

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Depends on the condition of the car really.

If it's a good rust free example I'd be inclined to hold on to it. Sure 3 years will fly.

If it needs a lot of work. Hard to know. Prices are not great for classics now. But if you need the space...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭w124man

It all depends if the car means something to you are not but if it doesn't have any personal ties .....

Option 1 = costs money to store if you don't have your own place. If not stored correctly it will fall apart

Option 2 = That'll cost even more!

Option 3 = Sell, save the money and buy another when you are ready to enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

I might go with the storage option - I'd be worried that if I sold it I'd never get around to justifying buying a replacement or the like.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Flog it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

In my experience , keeping a car with the intention of restoring it years in the future rarely works out with a restored car in the future. look at all the "barn find" and unfinished projects that come up for sale. Mostly I find the car is sold a few years later in worse condition after a few years of the owner looking at it with no more time or funds becoming available to facillitate the planned restoration. I'd sell it if I were you , free up your space . If you have enough funds in the future to restore one properly youll probably have enough funds to buy one in good nick also.

If its in very good condition and will be stored properly keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

Consider how you will feel about your change in circumstances if it had forced you to sacrifice something important to you. Will it sour the changes in your life to give up the car?

I myself have a few older cars, some held for over a decade. I often quote that it would be like someone selling their pet dog if I had to let one go.

As for storage, cars are designed to be used not stored, and it may be as expensive to store as restore. If you go down the restoration route you will have a perfect car to use when time permits, rather than losing another few years restoring it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I sold my series 1 Land Rover some years ago because I didn't have time or money to do it and I've regretted it ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

I've done all 3, I would sell it.
    Ii regret selling some of my cars, BUT, I also borrowed money to keep one on the road for far longer than it should have been, in the end i had to scrap that car as i just didnt have the time or equipment to properly maintain it, selling it to someone who could restore it properly would have been preferable to watching it rot in the yard as i told myself I'd get round to it later. Once you dump money into it you lose rational perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

If you can arrange dry secure storage at little cost, then I would hang on to it.
    Solid GT6's (or even those needing a bit of tlc) are getting increasingly hard to find. If it was an MGB I would probably sell it on and pick up another in 3 or 4 years time. With GT6s, the supply/demand situation is different.
    Carry out some of the more essential or pressing jobs that need sorting and then store her up. Three years will fly by.

Plenty of advice out there on how to go about preparing a car for storing away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement