Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transferring in First Year

• 15-08-2015 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

so I got my LC results on Wednesday and very happy with them.

here's my problem and it lies with my course choices. I have Music Technology in #1 spot and Arts in #2. I changed my mind about what I want to do (even after the CAO change of mind) and I want to do Arts, specifically French and Spanish.

If I get my first choice, can I transfer to Arts once registered as a student? provided I have the entry requirements and points?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

MuchZeus wrote: »
    so I got my LC results on Wednesday and very happy with them.

here's my problem and it lies with my course choices. I have Music Technology in #1 spot and Arts in #2. I changed my mind about what I want to do (even after the CAO change of mind) and I want to do Arts, specifically French and Spanish.

If I get my first choice, can I transfer to Arts once registered as a student? provided I have the entry requirements and points?

The simple answer is yes :D. When you go to registration, just ask the team there. You may be able to do it before you register, or you might have to register first and then go back later in the week or on week 1 of lectures when they are less busy. But it's a simple switch over. You have 4-5 weeks to make the final selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 McLovin_Ward

brainiac wrote: »
    The simple answer is yes :D. When you go to registration, just ask the team there. You may be able to do it before you register, or you might have to register first and then go back later in the week or on week 1 of lectures when they are less busy. But it's a simple switch over. You have 4-5 weeks to make the final selection.

If I do CSSE (arts entry) and take nua ghaeilge as the 3rd subject, could I transfer into a BA Joint Honours degree in 2nd year and just keep CS and Nua Ghaeilge as my 2 subjects? I don't have a 3rd language that's why I didn't do the joint honours degree this year.

If I do CSSE (arts entry) and take nua ghaeilge as the 3rd subject, could I transfer into a BA Joint Honours degree in 2nd year and just keep CS and Nua Ghaeilge as my 2 subjects? I don't have a 3rd language that's why I didn't do the joint honours degree this year.

Yes. If you do that, you'll be sitting an Arts degree though and switching to 3 years, whereas CSSE arts would have been a 4 year Science degree. You do less CS in joint honours as well just so you're aware.

Yes. If you do that, you'll be sitting an Arts degree though and switching to 3 years, whereas CSSE arts would have been a 4 year Science degree. You do less CS in joint honours as well just so you're aware.

Super! Thanks for your help I haven't been able to get any answers regarding any of my questions all summer! 😅 I presume I couldn't make this transfer to the Arts degree in 1st year because of not having the 3rd language, even though I wouldn't be using it in the subjects I'd pick?

Super! Thanks for your help I haven't been able to get any answers regarding any of my questions all summer! 😅 I presume I couldn't make this transfer to the Arts degree in 1st year because of not having the 3rd language, even though I wouldn't be using it in the subjects I'd pick?

If you don't want to take maths, you could of course switch to an arts degree with Computer Science, Irish and any other arts subject. This could even be another language, as in Maynooth, you have two options for most languages, experienced or new. So for example you could do CS, Irish and begin learning German or Chinese. However, I've heard 2 languages can be quite tough.

Also, if you do it that way and end up loving computer science and wanting to do a full degree in it, you won't be able to as you didn't get the maths experience. You need Maths as an option if you want to do the full CSSE degree, if you want to just keep it as a double honour though, you do less CS but don't need maths anymore.

• Advertisement

If you don't want to take maths, you could of course switch to an arts degree with Computer Science, Irish and any other arts subject. This could even be another language, as in Maynooth, you have two options for most languages, experienced or new. So for example you could do CS, Irish and begin learning German or Chinese. However, I've heard 2 languages can be quite tough.

Also, if you do it that way and end up loving computer science and wanting to do a full degree in it, you won't be able to as you didn't get the maths experience. You need Maths as an option if you want to do the full CSSE degree, if you want to just keep it as a double honour though, you do less CS but don't need maths anymore.

So even without the entry requirements needed for the arts degree I would be able to transfer to it and take CS, Irish and another subject in 1st year??

So even without the entry requirements needed for the arts degree I would be able to transfer to it and take CS, Irish and another subject in 1st year??

Oh, I get you sorry. So you didn't do a 3rd language at LC level. OK, so the requirements are actually placed on a per subject level as far as I know. I know the MH140 module code doesn't require a language, but any subject you wish to take up as your arts subject might. Not 100% on that though.

And I think either way in second year, you can choose to keep on 2 of your 3, so Irish and CS is fine.

Oh, I get you sorry. So you didn't do a 3rd language at LC level. OK, so the requirements are actually placed on a per subject level as far as I know. I know the MH140 module code doesn't require a language, but any subject you wish to take up as your arts subject might. Not 100% on that though.

And I think either way in second year, you can choose to keep on 2 of your 3, so Irish and CS is fine.

Yeah I was thinking I wouldn't be able to transfer in 1st year, I'll ask when I register anyway just to be sure. Thanks for your help! Really appreciate it!

Yeah I was thinking I wouldn't be able to transfer in 1st year, I'll ask when I register anyway just to be sure. Thanks for your help! Really appreciate it!

Don't worry anyway, you'll get through the maths, plenty of supports available.

Advertisement