Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2x2TB Drives - Only One Shows In Win/DManagement

Options
  • 15-08-2015 5:28pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

My latest rig contains 2 x 2TB WD2003FZEX's as Hard Disks.

PC is working fine and I'm going through the process of getting used to it - yet it seems one of the two Hard Disks refuse to show up in Windows. Considering they are identical, it can't be a driver issue - and considering it's not even showing up in Disk Manager, we can assume it's not because it hasn't been partitioned etc (which I requested the PC builders do before sending it to me).

If it's a BIOS issue - then I admit complete ignorance and could do with a little help initializing it. If this doesn't work, then I'll have to open her up and poke around a bit to check the cables. Might as well check if it's registering elsewhere before doing that - but the combination of a BenQ Monitor (weird loading screen that covers PC display) and fast boot may make it difficult to check just by reading loading BIOS.

Any/all tips and advice welcome.

EDIT: For the record, I'm using Windows 10 - hence a (more than usual) lack of familiarity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Could be a cable issue-could be a faulty SATA cable; try shutting down and swapping the power & SATA cables for the two disks around.

Another thing is to try different SATA ports on the motherboard. Some boards have third party SATA controllers, may be an issue with that.

Edit: meant to say if its not visible in disk management, the BIOS is the next step;spam the Del/F2 buttons should get you in on most boards. Check if both new drives are listed on the boot priority page, and also that all unused sata ports are set to auto/enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

All new drives to my knowledge will work with AHCI. Ok, so I would suggest cracking it open and trying a few things:
      • Swapping your new HDD's; if you reboot, go back into BIOS and see both drives, it may a cable/power issue.
      • Try different ports for the drive that's not visible.
      • You could try giving the disk you can see a name/letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Bios doesnt see it = nothing will.

Its cabling, a dead port or a dead disk. Open the side up and just secure the cables, if no change then get on the blower to the retailer.

Advertisement