Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerated concrete blocks

Options
  • 15-08-2015 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey everyone

I'm planning on building a kitchen extension onto my house. I've being looking into different blocks that to use apart from the standard concrete blocks.

Can someone clarify something for me.

I have being looking at different videos of people using these Aerated concrete blocks and there is no cavity wall.

Do these blocks take away the need for a cavity wall?

I'd appreciate any help and clarification you can give me.

Thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,292 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

sky2015 wrote: »
    Hey everyone

I'm planning on building a kitchen extension onto my house. I've being looking into different blocks that to use apart from the standard concrete blocks.

I have being looking at different videos of people using these Aerated concrete blocks and there is no cavity wall.

Thanks

there are many other methods of construction than 'cavity wall'

single leaf with these is just one other method

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭PROJECT K

Hey everyone

Thanks

Aerated concrete blocks in themselves don't negate the need for a cavity - they are generally used to add to the overall thermal performance, plus they are lightweight therefore easy to work with. The downside is that they can be a bit more difficult to plaster, as they have the capacity to absorb a lot of water. Also they don't have the same heat capacity as normal block so don't give you the thermal mass for temperature regulation (useful of you have a lot of solar great gain via southern windows or roof lights.

You can use aerated blocks in full full cavity, partial full cavity or with external insulation - the latter without a cavity. There are more proprietary products out there (poroton for example) which can be used on its own but to get a decent u-value you will probably need to supplement with some insulation...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SmolkoSK

Hey everyone

Thanks

Hi there.

Aerated concrete blocks are used in most EU countries///YTONG. They can be used to build a walls. They are different to cavity wall. Type in Youtube Ytong - The Incredible Story or contact me if u need any informations. I have house made from Ytong. :)

Advertisement