Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Susi decision and accommodation

Options
  • 14-08-2015 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

I'm a first-time parent of a first-time college student.

My son's grant application to susi was original rejected based on means. I have since received notice of redundacy so he submitted an appeal based on this. Susi have said that the appeal won't be decided until after the UCD on-campus accommodation acceptance date. Does he gamble and accept and pay UCD or turn it down and try off-campus accommodaton at a later date? There wouldn't be a whole lot left, I'd imagine.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

The fool I am to expect an Irish government body to be fit for purpose. If it was a body tasked with taking money in, rather than giving money out, it would work on time. Still, they will enjoy their wages as much, I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

eman66 wrote: »
    The fool I am to expect an Irish government body to be fit for purpose. If it was a body tasked with taking money in, rather than giving money out, it would work on time. Still, they will enjoy their wages as much, I'm sure.

Tbf they arent open again until Monday 9am. You should email/facebook them then. The lad that is on their facebook is dead helpful if you PM them. In all fairness you cant expect the answer till Monday.

Thanks for the info. Will message them on Facebook.

The appeal went in a couple of weeks ago. They are unconcerned how this is affecting my sons future.

He logged on tonight and his appeal has been denied. He's crushed. Thanks Susi and thanks to this sceptic country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

He logged on tonight and his appeal has been denied. He's crushed. Thanks Susi and thanks to this sceptic country.

Reason? It could be based on your previous earnings this year. If he reapplies next year and includes the reduced earnings. He'd likely get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

On what basis is the appeal denied if there is a change in circumstances?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

He got a job in London with a company who will pay for him to do his degree part-time. He's happy with that :). No strain on the poor national coffers either!

Advertisement