Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men's softshells: why so dorky?

Options
  • 14-08-2015 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭

Maybe many posters and lurkers in F&A will cringe at the mention of softshell jackets, but they are very comfortable. Unfortunately, they're often very ugly too. I'd love to find a nice plane jacket with minimal logos, no unnecessary pockets on the chest or arm, matching zip colours, minimal stitching and panel joins.

I've pasted some examples of the simple fails that manufacturers keep making. These are a selection from big brands and are relatively subdued in comparison to most. Even these look like a prime bunch of virginity-preservers.

Does anybody know of a nice plain softshell (not plain black) that avoids these style sins?

Softshell.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Who determines that they are 'style sins'? Love my North Face softshell jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Who determines that they are 'style sins'? Love my North Face softshell jacket.

Subjective judgment of the original poster. :)

Not trying to have a go at anybody here. I have a NorthFace one too. I love wearing it in terms of comfort and practicality, but I don't think it's a nice looking item. I posted as I want to find a plainer alternative.

The style sins in my view are general fussiness of design that detracts from something that would otherwise be a neat and attractive design. The use of pockets on the chest and arms for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭5ub

I see nothing wrong with them tbh. I've got a nice Boss one (black & green though) that is quite "plain", if thats what you're going for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Thanks,

I'll take a look at the Boss ones.

Basically I want something that looks like a plain jacket, not something "technical" looking.

Advertisement