Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling from Trinity Halls

Options
  • 14-08-2015 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi I've just finished my leaving cert this year and am pretty sure I'm going to get my first choice at Trinity so I want to start thinking about things like accommodation. I'm going to be applying for Halls and although I'm fully aware of how hard it is to get them at the moment considering the accommodation crisis I was just wondering if I did get them about cycling from the Halls in Rathmines. Firstly, are there any bike rental stations near the college and the Halls or would the only option be to use my own bike? 2. How long would it take me on average to cycle to the college? 3. Is it safe enough for a person who wouldn't have experience cycling around busy cities to take on this route or would you not advise it? 4. If using my own bike are the racks fairly safe or is theft common? I'm just looking to cut down on costs as much as possible, any advice from current/past students who have experience with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,248 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hi I've just finished my leaving cert this year and am pretty sure I'm going to get my first choice at Trinity so I want to start thinking about things like accommodation. I'm going to be applying for Halls and although I'm fully aware of how hard it is to get them at the moment considering the accommodation crisis I was just wondering if I did get them about cycling from the Halls in Rathmines. Firstly, are there any bike rental stations near the college and the Halls or would the only option be to use my own bike? 2. How long would it take me on average to cycle to the college? 3. Is it safe enough for a person who wouldn't have experience cycling around busy cities to take on this route or would you not advise it? 4. If using my own bike are the racks fairly safe or is theft common? I'm just looking to cut down on costs as much as possible, any advice from current/past students who have experience with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

1. Congratulations. Well done in your exams.
    2. Yes, but they can be (a) empty when you need one, or (b) full when you want to leave one back! Generally works well, though.
    3. No time at all. Door to door in 10-15 minutes, if traffic is light, and the green lights are with you.
    4. Perfectly safe, once you get used to it.
    5. Bike racks in Trinity are crap. Most around Trinity are fine. Drury St car park is excellent, and out of the rain. But two good locks, though. Search 'Hal Ruzal' on YouTube. Do what he says and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Smitherines

I just looked on the Dublin bikes website and it looks like the nearest bike station to Halls is on Portabello Road which is about a half an hour walk. That seems a bit far so I think the only realistic option would be to use my own bike? Or am I missing something? I think it would be a lot easier if I could use the rental service but I'll use my own if I have to. Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

Yes, Portobello would be the closest. About a 20 minute walk. So your own bike might be the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

My Brother did it from Halls in 13/14. Much better option is your own bike and not any of the rental stations. Easier and better. Just make sure you have 2 good locks etc. 15-20 minutes depending on how quick you are. Yes it is safe enough for people without experience cycling in a city. Just use common sense and you'll be ok. Racks are fairly safe but some areas in Trinity are better than others. What course you thinking of doing as that will determine exactly where you are based and where you'll put bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

I'm cycling in and out to TCD 2 years i've one decent lock and seems grand, my bike is nothing fancy though, decent older bike. It's safe enough just take your time and don't expect cars to see you and you'll be grand. It's mostly sit on you bike and roll into college from there and a bit of an up hill on way home. There are plenty of places in college to lock a bike. You own cheap bike would probably be a lot nicer to cycle than a Dublin city bike. I'd get a Dublin bikes card even if you do have your own bike with you, they're just handy sometimes and it's only 20euro a year if you are only going short distances.
    Get mud cards, get the same tires as on Dublin city bikes, get wet gear, get a pannier bag and the carrier on your bike, it's much nicer to cycle without your bag on your back. Get onto Pam about a locker, or there is in the arts block a cloakroom that is free but it shuts at 4pm so a locker would be nicer, i think they're 20 euro for the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 osulligr

Hey, theres a new bike sharing club called GreenBike.club coming to Dublin in October. They're going to have fixie bikes stationed outside Trinity Halls and the campus, so it'll be perfect for you and you won't need to worry about buying your own. As far as I know you'll just need to get their app and sign up to access the bikes! Hope this helps and good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

gsi300024v wrote: »
    I'm cycling in and out to TCD 2 years i've one decent lock and seems grand, my bike is nothing fancy though, decent older bike. It's safe enough just take your time and don't expect cars to see you and you'll be grand. It's mostly sit on you bike and roll into college from there and a bit of an up hill on way home. There are plenty of places in college to lock a bike. You own cheap bike would probably be a lot nicer to cycle than a Dublin city bike. I'd get a Dublin bikes card even if you do have your own bike with you, they're just handy sometimes and it's only 20euro a year if you are only going short distances.
    Get mud cards, get the same tires as on Dublin city bikes, get wet gear, get a pannier bag and the carrier on your bike, it's much nicer to cycle without your bag on your back. Get onto Pam about a locker, or there is in the arts block a cloakroom that is free but it shuts at 4pm so a locker would be nicer, i think they're 20 euro for the year.

Do you use the student bike area or just park it against one of the rails around the campus? I'll be starting a postgrad in September and am planning on cycling in.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Both, I park all over campus and touch wood for last 2 yrs either of my bikes has never been touched, they not really anything fancy though and are dirty so even less attraction i'd say to robbers.
    There are so many bikes around you'd be unlucky if your's was one to be robbed, I''ve a single U lock that was 50 euro and i always lock the frame to something that can't be moved. My wheels are quick release though and no one ever went near them.

Be sure to lock through the rear triangle if just using one lock. Plus if you have quick release wheels, consider taking off the front wheel and locking it to the back wheel.

There used to be a swipe card only place for locking your bike near Botany bay (by the pearse street railings), no idea if it's still there but worth looking for it.

I think it is still there the swipe place, they revamped it i think last year, I was up in Halls yesterday, the security seems good up there too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement