Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gmail and Exchange Services killing battery

Options
  • 14-08-2015 12:04pm
    Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Nexus 5 which isn't exactly renowned for great battery life in general, but recently it's been markedly worse lately, and it seems that it is my Gmail and Exchange Services mail apps that are killing the battery. For example at the minute, it is 85% charged but it says the battery will be dead in 4 hours (which it will). It wasn't that bad until a couple of weeks ago. I've cleared cache/data, restarted, and looked for solutions but couldn't really find anything.

I don't want to turn off sync or notifications to my phone, but 4 hour battery life is really not sustainable. I was half planning on getting the new N5 when released in November (hopefully) but I don't want to have to put up with this until then. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Are the services working. I find if there is some problem with my exchange server, or if I've forgotten to update the password for it on my phone for example. Are you getting your emails ok?

Other thing might be to consider using gmail for your exchange mail, so you are just using one app

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Possibly an activesync error on the exchange. I've seen some phones hitting exchanges thousands of times a day and it kills their battery. Could your exchange admin or IT help desk take a looks at the IIS logs and see if your device is having a problem?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Zagato wrote: »
    Are the services working. I find if there is some problem with my exchange server, or if I've forgotten to update the password for it on my phone for example. Are you getting your emails ok?

Other thing might be to consider using gmail for your exchange mail, so you are just using one app

Still getting emails fine, sync is still working. I use gmail for all my accounts (3 gmail, 1 hotmail, 1 yahoo) and until recently been grand on performance. I tried to uninstall the other exchange services app but can't as it doesn’t give me the option.
    Rackstar wrote: »
    Possibly an activesync error on the exchange. I've seen some phones hitting exchanges thousands of times a day and it kills their battery. Could your exchange admin or IT help desk take a looks at the IIS logs and see if your device is having a problem?

Personal phone and email account, no IT admins to ask I'm afraid.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think it is my hotmail sync going crazy for contacts so I've turned that off and hopefully that helps.

Advertisement