Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Interquartile Range

Options
  • 14-08-2015 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

What is Interquartile Range...What is the use of finding it...

for a set of data : 5, 11, 43, 23, 21....What is the IQR...

I dont want any reference links as i already got it from an online IQR calculator in easycalculation site
    Need detailed explanation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

It is a measure of spread in a data set, so its purpose/usefulness is akin to that of the standard deviation.

Typically, if two data sets had the same median but one had a bigger IQR than the other, then the one with the bigger IQR is a more spread out set of data (or equivalently, the one with the smaller IQR is a more bunched up set of data).

Correspondingly, I could say this:
    Typically, if two data sets had the same mean but one had a bigger standard deviation than the other, then the one with the bigger standard deviation is a more spread out set of data (or equivalently, the one with the smaller standard deviation is a more bunched up set of data).

In many ways it's a much more intuitive measure of spread than the standard deviation is. It's the range of the middle half of the data. That is, if you discard the top quarter and the bottom quarter, it's the range of what's left.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Mwalimu

Think of the set of data divided into four parts. The lower quartile represents a value (not necessarily a data point in the given set) which has 25% of the data below it. The upper quartile is a value which has 25% of the data above it. So, the IQR represents the spread of data between these two values. As MathsManiac says, it gives the spread of the middle half of the data.

What is Interquartile Range...What is the use of finding it...

for a set of data : 5, 11, 43, 23, 21....What is the IQR...

I dont want any reference links as i already got it from an online IQR calculator in easycalculation site
    Need detailed explanation

Advertisement