Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need wheel rebuilt (rim...) asap. South Dublin

Options
  • 14-08-2015 10:05am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, my single speed rim shat itself last night. There's a bulge in the rim (braking surface) and it's probably about to annihilate itself. I'm running with a flipflop hub, and to be honest I have no idea how old that hub is. I had the wheel rebuilt last year due to failure and I'd say there's only 5000km on it, it seems a bit premature to crap out now?

But anyway, I need to get this back and running for Monday, does anyone know of a shop that would be able to build a wheel, preferably in south dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Contact Lukas aka Ashford Cycles on Adverts. A good wheelbuilder and will maybe be able to dig you out

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm wondering if it would be worth just getting a new wheel set now. This would set me back 170 quid:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/WPPXAL30DABS/planet-x-al30-d-track-wheelset-with-anodized-braking-surface

I wont have it as quick, but hopefully I would survive a couple of days. I have a new single speed freewheel + tool to put it on, so it could be doable DIY myself. How much could I expect to spend getting my current wheel rebuilt?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

I'm wondering if it would be worth just getting a new wheel set now. This would set me back 170 quid:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/WPPXAL30DABS/planet-x-al30-d-track-wheelset-with-anodized-braking-surface

I wont have it as quick, but hopefully I would survive a couple of days. I have a new single speed freewheel + tool to put it on, so it could be doable DIY myself. How much could I expect to spend getting my current wheel rebuilt?
    In my experience, it is infinitely better to get a wheel built by a good local wheelbuilder than an off the shelf product. Although it might be fine, and was built by the best builder in the shop on a good day, it might be the apprentice's first wheel on a Friday afternoon in a rush.
    I get mine built by Ciaran in Bikeworx, rock solid and never a hint of spokes loosening.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

rp wrote: »
    In my experience, it is infinitely better to get a wheel built by a good local wheelbuilder than an off the shelf product. Although it might be fine, and was built by the best builder in the shop on a good day, it might be the apprentice's first wheel on a Friday afternoon in a rush.
    I get mine built by Ciaran in Bikeworx, rock solid and never a hint of spokes loosening.

And what kind of money would you be talking to get one built?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

daragh_ wrote: »

This guy fixed the rear wheel of my track bike after someone went into it and took spokes out. It's better now than it was before.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

And what kind of money would you be talking to get one built?
    Last wheel was e180 for 105 hub, OpenPro rim, double-butted spokes and build. 105 hub is c. 60, OP's are 60/70, DT swiss c. 30 for 36, so build must be about 20/30 euro.
    He's lacing an OpenPro onto a SP dynohub that I supplied as we speak, so I'll ask him when I pick it up this p.m., do you have decent hub to reuse?

rp wrote: »
    Last wheel was e180 for 105 hub, OpenPro rim, double-butted spokes and build. 105 hub is c. 60, OP's are 60/70, DT swiss c. 30 for 36, so build must be about 20/30 euro.
    He's lacing an OpenPro onto a SP dynohub that I supplied as we speak, so I'll ask him when I pick it up this p.m., do you have decent hub to reuse?

The hub is as old as the bike, probably anywhere from 15k to 20k on it. Not too sure if these are easily repaired, or need to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

If there is no play or grinding in the hub, there may be loads of life still in it. I'd take it apart, clean thoroughly and regrease. If there is some rough feeling, changing ball bearings should help. But if the bearing races are pitted, its time for new hubs.

[edit] I assumed we are talking of cup&cone hubs? If they are using machine bearings, the service is even easier :) )

Alek wrote: »
    If there is no play or grinding in the hub, there may be loads of life still in it. I'd take it apart, clean thoroughly and regrease. If there is some rough feeling, changing ball bearings should help. But if the bearing races are pitted, its time for new hubs.

I haven't noticed any noise at all from it to be honest! A tear down might be in order however. It's my commuter so it's a rough and tumble bike, I think I might pay a little more attention to cleaning it this time around. I want my wheels to last a little longer than 5k!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Ive 2 new handbuilt rear wheels available at the moment, double fixed so either track cog or singlespeed for both sides

have built many wheels for commuting and racing

Advertisement