Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV cars don't fit the motor industry model

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Bigus

Also apart from range increases I'd say you could keep a leaf for 20 years with almost no maintenance ,

One of the main reasons for changing an ice car is imminent replacement of worn out parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Greyian

The easiest way would seem to just be making EVs ~10% more expensive that current cars, which most people would probably see as a very good deal anyway (10% extra up-front cost, massively reduced running costs - largely because of fuel).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Luuudicrous Mode
    While working on our goal of making the power train last a million miles, we came up with the idea for an advanced smart fuse for the battery.

thats what Musk said when talking about the new ludicrous mode, but nobody seemed to pick up on it

a car thats good for a million miles would be sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

We recently bought a leaf to replace a modern lean running CR diesel hatchback. One of the main reasons was the user economics. It was a bit of head scratcher as it really goes against flow. Still not sure if I have reasoned it correctly mainly because the if it were true, then why aren't more people buying EVs?

I also have an ICE and I like everyone else I know bitches about the cost of fuel. Oil is currently cheap.

I don't think we need to fret about the motor industry finding a way to put bread on the table, I'm guessing I will get an answer for that when I go to buy a replacement battery.

My other car is a rover 75, 100,000 were made during its life cycle, I have no problem getting parts 10 years after the line stopped.

Are we up to 100K least yet?
    Springs,dampers,steering racks, calipers discs pads etc will be available from Delphi Sachs Monroe Paige , the usual supplier. Electronics and software will be manufacturer only for a while, depends on how secure it is I suppose.

That car that the leaf replaced was 75HP from the manufacture or I could have enhanced to 105HP if I spent a few hundred outside the dealer network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

njburke wrote: »
    Still not sure if I have reasoned it correctly mainly because the if it were true, then why aren't more people buying EVs?

range, once people can buy an EV with about a 200 mile range you will see electric cars everywhere, its about 2 or 3 years away

• Advertisement
Advertisement