Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EPS Multi-boost noise

Options
  • 13-08-2015 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭

Just moved into our new build and worried about the amount of noise from the EPS Multi-boost (link below). Ever time a tap is turned on or a toilet flushed the pump kicks in. The noise is terrible (especially in a new build). EPS recommended putting a rubber matt under it to stop the noise, which has not helped. They say the pump is working ok so how do we control the noise ?

Living in the city; is this really needed to maintain a constant pressure ?

Model; Preflo 500lt
    http://www.epswater.ie/_fileupload/Image/Specification/Multi-Boost%20Intelli%20EPS.pdf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

They should be fairly quiet. Like a very low drone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

corkgsxr wrote: »
    They should be fairly quiet. Like a very low drone.

Not mine, its more the sound of a garbage disposal.

Anyone else have these installed ? I would have thought this was a popular enough installation ?

Quickly checking again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

From experience, the noise levels on thes type of systems can vary greatly and it could be anything causing the noise.
    It could be the pump vibrating up against the wall of the tank or the assembly on the top vibrating. It may be the pipework, not well fixed down and that is causing noise, or all three together.
    It may be that you are new to these types of water systems and there may not much or anything wrong.
    Have you thought of calling into one of your neighbours and asking to have a listen to theirs for a comparison.

• Advertisement

K.Flyer wrote: »
    From experience, the noise levels on thes type of systems can vary greatly and it could be anything causing the noise.
    It could be the pump vibrating up against the wall of the tank or the assembly on the top vibrating. It may be the pipework, not well fixed down and that is causing noise, or all three together.
    It may be that you are new to these types of water systems and there may not much or anything wrong.
    Have you thought of calling into one of your neighbours and asking to have a listen to theirs for a comparison.

Thanks for this. Insulted the tank with sound proof insultation, put a rubber matt under the tank but its still overly noisey. Pain in the %&%

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

I don't know these systems at all, but would there be air in the pump? Does the pump only run for a while and then knock off?

I'm surprised you would need this in a city, usually the water pressure is decent. Maybe post a picture of the pump in-situ.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 AmatureRuth

Did you get this fixed?

Am thinking of installing one under my stairs in order to feed my combi etc and placate the dark ages plumbers who seem to think plumbing a combi into the mains is ILLEGAL (it is not, but you know what they say about a little knowledge).

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Hensteeth20

Just wondering if you installed this under the stairs. We are thinking of doing the same but worried about the noise.

Still not great, I removed the pump from the EPS tank and have an external pump. It is a little better but not great - very time a tap is turned on it starts up with a loud bang. Not sure why the plumber didn't install a 25L tank to stop the regular startups of the pump - never gave a clear answer on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

had noise off a Grundfos pump. When the plumber installed it originally I asked him if it should be on rubber and with flexihoses. He said no.

It was wicked noisy.

Had him back to fix a leak on the pump and asked him again. He installed the flexi (after he spoke to Grundfos) and it has reduced the noise significantly.

Frogeye.

Yea, have the flexihose also. Does your pump start up every time it gets a call for water ie: when you turn on a bathroom tap

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

yes. Even if a tap is left dripping a little bit.

I lagged the pipes on the wall with insulation to help with the noise and |I'm going to build a small box to sit over the pump. Line the inside with adhesive back foam and try reduce the noise further. My pump isn't air cooled so no fear of it overheating if its covered

Advertisement