Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Applied Social Studies Post-Grad Trinity

Options
  • 13-08-2015 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, have applied for this 1 year conversion course in Trinity. Interested to see if anybody has taken this course & how did it work out, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Elizabeth2014

Following...I'm also registered for this course. I'm pretty nervous about the content as I've been out of education for a while and am working full time as well. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Rudy1968

Yes, looks like lots of work, life about to get busy

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Treetop1

Hi , I am also registered for this course starting in Sept and working full time, so feeling the nerves. Would be great to hear how ppl got on who have just completed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Great to find other people doing the course, I'm starting in September too.
    We just need to find people that did the course previously!

I'm also working full time and have 2 young kids! Busy year ahead:eek:

I'm excited to start now!!! Snap with the small kid and working full time...fingers crossed I can get her to bed before the classes start on a Thursday!!!

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm the same-not sure how it's going to work! I'm a bit nervous to be honest!

Are you all set up for the first live tutorial on Tuesday at 6pm?
    I still have to buy the USB headset-did you buy one?

Thanks!

Bought the logitech one in PC World. Thats really the only place you can get a USB headset. My OH is techie and spent ages looking for a cheaper alternative and couldn't find one anywhere.

We must be in different groups. I'm Group B and have the live tutorial at 7.30pm on Tuesday. I have all the software downloaded and it was easy to do (hopefully it will work)!

Now I need to find a job related to Social Care...really hard

Ah ok I think I'm in Group A so. Group A has a live tutorial Tuesday and Thursday at 6pm.

Right thanks I better get that one so-I was hoping I'd find something cheaper to be honest but I better get the right one. I don't have a clue about computers but I managed to download the software-I just hope it works now!!

Hi Guys,

Just wondering how you guys are getting on with the course so far? I'm really struggling to do the bits every week. Please tell me i'm not alone???

:(

Hey Elizabeth,

I'm definitely the same-it's taking up a lot of my time and I still feel like I'm not getting through it all. I'm away this weekend and already a bit stressed over how much i'll be behind come Monday!
    Have you most of the stuff done for this week?

I am enjoying it though and finding it interesting but just a lot of work!!

• Advertisement

Hi saggycaggy,

I have nothing done for this week yet and am stuck in work until 5pm...then home, cook dinner, bath the baby etc before class at 6.20pm.

I'm finding the course content quite interesting too but twice this week have fallen asleep while trying to watch the lectures. I am seriously not coping...

Awe that's tough Elizabeth. I'm the same-in work until 5pm but with the commute home I won't be in until just after 6pm and had to get my mum up from Donegal this week to mind my children while my husband is away at to go to the Ireland game. I have all my "chores" to do after 8.30pm!!

What's helped me is devoting either a Friday or Saturday night (we don't get to go out so stuck in anyway!) to doing the Video and PDF notes and taking notes of all of these. Once they are out of the way i'll pick 2 more nights (say Sunday and Tuesday) to do the written tasks once the kids are in bed.

(Also I try and get some done at work when I can-just put up a Criminology one there a half hour ago!)

If you need any help just PM me.
    Where are you based Elizabeth?

Thanks a mil. The way you're doing it sounds manageable. I'm based in Tipperary. I'll try to do a bit now during work and start from scratch again tomorrow evening.

I'm just having a mini-breakdown at the moment.
    - 'Chores' haven't been done in 2 weeks, i'm living temporarily in my parents house while they're living abroad but they're coming home Sunday week and the house is MANKY (it's also Huge with 3 floors and 7 bedrooms). That's stressing me out no end coz this w/e is the only time to do it as i have visitors etc sat night and then working straight from Monday to Saturday.
    -I'm starting a new job on Thursday and I have to do about 6hrs of online prep for that prior to starting.
    -My OH works 14 hour days so can't do dinners, baby bedtimes etc.
    -I'm an idiot for taking on so much
    -I'm also trying to plan a fecking wedding as we got engaged a month ago.

I feel a little better now! lol, i'm usually so relaxed and don't see the point in getting stressed out but I think i'm broken!
    Thanks so much for your advise

ok you are defo allowed to be a little stressed-you do have a lot on!!!
    I'm suddenly happy my house is only a tiny 2 bed-roomed one,hard enough to keep that clean.

Yeah I suppose it's the time management really-but that's not always easy. Set yourself the time to do course work every week(preferably the same time) and stick to it. Say 8pm-10pm on a Fri/Sat and 2 other evenings for an hour or 2. I know that's crap doing course work at the weekend but for me I feel it's better to get it started asap and all the notes taking out of the way!

Was your student card sent out or are they only for collection?

Congrats on the Engagement too:)

Oh what I wouldn't give for a tiny 2-bed cottage with no stairs!!! Heaven!

I didn't get my student card yet and I was under the impression that they'd be sent out in the post. I keep meaning to email Laura Cusack about it and keep forgetting :P

Thanks so much for listening to me rant!!! I will kick myself in the arse now to stick to a plan!!!

I emailed her about it and she gave me contact details for admissions and I emailed them but I got back what seemed like a generic email explaining where the cards are and we can go pick them up. I was thought they were going to be sent out too!

Don't be silly re ranting-rant away!! We're all in the thick of it so it's good to help each other out:)

Advertisement