Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

re entering study(software development)

Options
  • 13-08-2015 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

hi all good afternoon :)

To make a long story short i was mature studying in an i.t up until February this year when i had to drop out to due to grant fee issues yes susi thing :( ....however more to my point i was struggling with programming mostly and at times web coding i had my reservations about the lectures in these particular modules as did everybody else in the year also....i would appreciate some important advice...before i want to set foot in an i.t/university again...i would like to learn from the very beginning again all the necessary basic essential credentials that are needed in software development etc

i have in mind to go back and study one of the two day time course's being offered at limerick senior...should i go with level 6? or would it be wise to start at level 5 since i stated i wanted to learn from the very beginning(hence i was at level 8 at parts held my own but would always end at a dead end at times)..i would really appreciate some info help on this decision thank you so much :)

http://www.lcfe.ie/DAY-COURSES/School-of-Business,-IT-and-Media/IT-Department/Software---Apps-Development.aspx

Award

QQI Level 5 Software Development 5M17817

http://www.lcfe.ie/DAY-COURSES/School-of-Business,-IT-and-Media/IT-Department/Advanced-Web-Design.aspx

QQI Level 6 Software Development 6M7816

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

In my experience of first year programming (I just finished 1st year), it's nothing but dead ends and you just have to figure it out yourself, Google is your best friend and it's a struggle to just get something to work, it won't be pretty but as long as it works.
    I think this might be a universal problem, it is for my class and another class that I contacted in a different college.
    I personally would give level 8 another go, especially if you think you have the aptitude for development, you left in February and it's a steep curve to that point, I won't say it levels off, but you get more comfortable solving your own problems.
    Regardless of the level, they all start assuming no one has any experience, but the level 8 will leave you in a strong position at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭ioc

^^^hi senna congrats on passing first year :)...yes certainly i agree...you see to elaborate more our programming lecture was a stand in business teacher its sort of sad to say she was so bad at explaining all its made me a bit hesitative to go into another i.t right away with out some worthy knowledge and have to face paying high fee's and failing and repeating at the same time :/

the reason i out lined the courses above are they are more financially manageable for me at the moment and with what i hope a foundation insight to programming and web coding...id just like to be more comfortable this time around with these modules(rather also make a go for a new i.t as the last one really disappointed me in many aspects)

do you think its wise starting at level 6??..or should i began at 5 and build up from there cheers pal :)

Advertisement